Thursday, 29 June 2006

baroque no more

Well, things have been busy here in Baroque Palace. Baroque no more, and certainly not Rococo, I've decided to skip right over Romanticism and head straight into the New Pragmatism. Yes - I've got a new job! And a very practical one it will be too. Two weeks of serious searching resulted in two interviews, and the one I liked I got offered. Hurrah, but not Hooray Henry, because those people didn't offer their job to me. It's all right; I had rejected them before I knew they'd rejected me. Let's just say I have eschewed royal patronage in favour of the real world - in the very shadow of Prince Charles' much-vaunted £800,000 profit increase: a small but liberating step and another sign that I might not be quite as over-the-top as certain parties like to claim (though I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the 800,000 smackers).

And so it goes. Soon I'll be busy again, which will mean I'll have more to think about and thus will be posting more on my baroquelog, in those snatched moments between arriving home all hot from the Victoria Line and plunging into the heat of the ever-waiting kitchen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job! To mark the good news:

TOADS

by Philip Larkin

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off?

Six days of the week it soils
With its sickening poison -
Just for paying a few bills!
That's out of proportion.

Lots of folk live on their wits:
Lecturers, lispers,
Losels, loblolly-men, louts-
They don't end as paupers;

Lots of folk live up lanes
With fires in a bucket,
Eat windfalls and tinned sardines-
they seem to like it.

Their nippers have got bare feet,
Their unspeakable wives
Are skinny as whippets - and yet
No one actually starves.

Ah, were I courageous enough
To shout Stuff your pension!
But I know, all too well, that's the stuff
That dreams are made on:

For something sufficiently toad-like
Squats in me, too;
Its hunkers are heavy as hard luck,
And cold as snow,

And will never allow me to blarney
My way of getting
The fame and the girl and the money
All at one sitting.

I don't say, one bodies the other
One's spiritual truth;
But I do say it's hard to lose either,
When you have both.

Anonymous said...

Let me note that despite this appearing to have been sent at an ungodly hour, it is before midnight here in Nueva York.

Ms Baroque said...

Quincy, thanks for that; I've always loved that poem. It almost amounts to a sponsor's announcement, doesn't it.

And you're grown up, you can stay up as late as you want ;)

Anonymous said...

well done, Katy. Good to hear you've got work again.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Great news - got any tips?

Ms Baroque said...

NWM, I'll spiff up your CV for a very reasonable fee (being both a copywriter and a person who rectuits staff, and thus someone who Knows What They're Looking For)! I suspect you're someone who can also do that.

Otherwise my two tips are:
1. agencies, agencies and more agencies
2. Don't drink before an interview (though that also hasn't done you any harm...)!

My friend Allen did an email shot of 270 magazines when he was out of work in the summer. He was just looking for something to fill August; but he was behind a desk three days later and his phone was ringing off the hook.