Tuesday, 26 September 2006

relic of an idea









These china jugs are the relic of an idea. They amount almost to a collection, because I have a fondness for them and if I see a nice one sometimes I'll buy it, knowing I don't use the ones I already have. The idea they're a relic of is something shadowy to do with how people used to eat; how I used, when I was just starting out, to think food might pan out in my own home; what's expected; what's required.

I was struck forcibly by this idea tonight while doing the washing up, and even thought how nice it would be to make something on purpose to use the jugs - maybe even more than one at a time. We just don't eat so many sauces these days.

In the same category are these beautiful little Silver Jubilee mugs. They hold about 6oz. each, and when I did put coffee in one it went right through all the cracks in the glaze; next time it'll shatter the cup. And the Silver Jubilee wasn't even all that long ago, in crockery years.

What I'm not so sure about is precisely what the idea was. But it's not just the jugs. It's all relics. And it wasn't just my idea. It was all ideas.

3 comments:

Eloise said...

I'm really looking forward to your reading in November.

You can't hide from me, no no.

The free wine is also an incentive.

Eloise

PS. Nice jugs.

Ms Baroque said...

Eloise, you were at Oxfam last night! I was laid up here with a bad eye. Now I'm even sorrier I couldn't make it...

Eloise said...

I think everyone else at the reading wished we hadn't gone. We were rubbish: we couldn't hear half the people so we kept popping out for fag breaks and gorging ourselves on free wine.

However, I promise to be far more attentive at your reading. I'll be one of the only 3 teenagers at the reading, most probably lurking by the bar.

It's gonna be crazy!

I hope your eye gets better soon.

Eloise