Tuesday, 26 December 2006

the rejection connection: or, Ms Baroque tries to gear up to send some stuff out to the magazines













Is this man like a poet? Are poets like cartoonists? Do you write better poems if you're "punch-drunk" with rejection? Are good ideas like gossamer (a word that figures on almost every list of taboo poem-words I've ever seen)? Do you need a clear vista to feel like a winner? What's funny? What's a good poem?

Perhaps we can learn from the example of the
New Yorker cartoonists, possibly the only other group in the world as inured to rejection as poets. As described by Peter Carlson of the Washington Post,* the weekly selection process is more like a cull:

It's Wednesday afternoon and David Remnick, the editor of the New Yorker, is picking cartoons. A few minutes ago, Bob Mankoff, the magazine's cartoon editor, entered Remnick's office carrying three wire baskets and 81 cartoons. The baskets are labeled Yes, No and Maybe. The cartoons are the ones Mankoff chose from the nearly 1,000 he received since the previous Wednesday's meeting. Now, with the help of Managing Editor Jacob Lewis, Remnick will decide which ones the magazine will buy.
It continues:

No. Yes. No. No. Remnick picks up a cartoon of a corporate boardroom with a bunch of guys in suits sitting around a conference table with one chair occupied by a brain in a jar. The caption reads, "But first let's all congratulate Ted on his return to work."

" Ewwww!" Remnick says, half groaning, half laughing. "Bob!"

"It's great!" Mankoff says.

"It's horrible!" Remnick responds, laughing.

"What? A little brain in a jar?" Mankoff replies. "No animals were hurt in the making of this cartoon."

Remnick laughs. But he doesn't change his mind. "Not here," he says. It's a No.

Hey, wait a minute! Did you catch that? The guy laughs at the cartoon, but he still rejects it! It's good the cartoonists aren't watching. This would drive them crazy. Well, craz ier. Constant rejection has rendered these geniuses half nuts already. In about 20 minutes, Remnick rejects 48 cartoons and buys 33 -- that's 33 out of nearly a thousand that came in this week! It's hard out here for a cartoonist.

Just ask Matthew Diffee. At 36, he's one of the New Yorker's star cartoonists, creator of the classic drawing of Che Guevara wearing a Bart Simpson T-shirt, which has become a hot-selling T-shirt itself. But the man is practically punch-drunk from repeated rejection.

Every Tuesday, like most of the New Yorker's four dozen regular cartoonists, Diffee submits a batch of about 10 cartoons.

"And if you're really, really funny that week," he says, "you'll sell . . . one cartoon! That's a 90 percent rejection rate."

On a bad week, the rejection rate is 100 percent.

Sound familiar? (We're disregarding the Shangri-La notion of an editor who cares whether you're waiting to find out, a weekly submission and an instant result.) But there is a point where it all turns into fantasy:
Diffee started drawing cartoons in the late '90s, when he was living in Boston and failing to make it as an artist or a stand-up comic. His first cartoon won a contest sponsored by the New Yorker, and Mankoff encouraged him to submit more. For a year, Diffee submitted 15 cartoons a week, every week.

"I sold four," he says.

That's four out of about 700.

The next year he did a little better. He sold eight.

Now, Diffee lives in Brooklyn and has a contract with the New Yorker, which buys about two dozen of his cartoons a year. He won't say how much his contract pays him -- and Mankoff won't reveal what the magazine pays for cartoons -- but he's getting by.

On Tuesday mornings, Diffee goes to Mankoff's office to drop off his latest batch and schmooze with the other cartoonists who've come to drop off their batches. A dozen or so will go to lunch at a restaurant called Pergola des Artistes and talk shop.

"If you expect a lot of one-upping each other in a Gag-o-Rama, you'd be disappointed," he says. "We have serious conversations on how to draw duck feet or whether a duck is funnier than a penguin. And there's a level of bitterness that we're not selling as much as we should."

At a bookshop event, Diffee gets asked if he gets frustrated a lot:

"Yes, I get frustrated a lot," he admits.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. "If you have a pessimistic outlook on life, you'll probably do better," he tells the kid. "If you think nine out of 10 of your ideas will be rejected, you'll work harder."

It's the power of negative thinking -- the perfect philosophy for New Yorker cartoonists and any other poor souls who are frequently clobbered by rejection.

Well, there we have it. Can the rest of us learn from this? Maybe - that the main thing is to keep hammering away at them, and that it's important to keep sending. And understand the editor. And that weekly session doesn't sound bad either.

For some reason this reminded me of Rocky. I guess we all wanna be a contender.

Can I get myself up at five in the morning? Forget the pergola of the artists. No pergolas here. I need
Coach...

*The Washington Post appears not to be allowing me to link to this entertaining article, but it is listed at Arts & Letters Daily and their link seems to work. Look in the right-hand column.

10 comments:

The Sentinel said...

Hi Ms Baroque,

I posted the text below in response to your comments relating to my comment on the debate on veils raised on 'Kris's Stoke Newington' blog. I am aware that this does not bear relation to this article, but you need not publish the text here; I just wanted to refer you to my response.

Best Wishes,

The Sentinel
a.k.a Paul


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, just to clarify Ms Baroque's comments in relation to mine:

I am not sure how you could have come to the conclusion that I am from the US on the basis of three short paragraphs, but for the record I am in fact English.

But I have lived and worked in several Muslim countries and I respect their rules whilst I am in their country. Indeed to anything but respect their rules would be arrogant and very dangerous. In Saudi Arabia for example, whilst it is a serious offence to practice any other religion then Islam, to be found to be an atheist warrants the death penalty. You would certainly not want to be caught practising homosexual acts, and I would not like to be in the terrible position of woman who has been raped there either. I personally witnessed one execution there (I stumbled across it) and it had the macabre feel of the Saudi equivalent of a reality show here.

But that is the Saudi's business, and I although I had personal reservations about the morality of it all, it was not my concern.

Other Muslim countries I have lived in have been less extreme in the application of Sharia law but their is certainly a cultural line that must be crossed by outsiders. And again, it this thier country and thier right to assert that position.

However, this is not a muslim country, and although I couldn't care less who worships what, for practical identification reasons the covering of the face is not really acceptable. Would it be OK if I decided to wear a veil for the photo of my bus pass, passport and work ID? And I would have just as much grounds to do so if I wished, because as I have pointed out the veil is not a religious requirement of the Koran but a cultural one. A friend of mine had her babies passport photo rejected a couple of times because first all she was smiling and then her eyes were closed.

I suggested that she put a veil over the babies face and that would be the end of this nonsense.

Finally, you appear to accuse me of closed minded thinking, but I notice that you have enabled compulsory censorship on your blog, whereby you read peoples submitted opinions and only the ones you approve of are published. It would suggest that that is very closed minded indeed.

Rob said...

I got a "We are unable to locate the page you requested.
The page may have moved or may no longer be available" at your link.

Anyway, good luck with the submissions.

Adrian said...

Ah, but it at least it sounds like a level playing field, and they get paid, and read, and can become legends! (Or at least their cartoons can.) I write about 20-30 halfway decent poems a year, I maybe send them out to 5 or 6 magazines, I wait, I wait. I get 1 poem accepted. I wait, I wait. Its published. I get a free copy of the magazine. Mind you, this week I got £20 for a poem, and feel like framing it. How insane is all this?

Ms Baroque said...

Rob, thanks for pointing that out. I redid the link but it still didn't work: some sort of sorcery over at the Washington Post? I've rewritten, as you can see!

Adrian, I know, I know. At the moment I'm writing about ten publishable poems a year. I'll be a hundred soon.

Ms Baroque said...

Oh, and Adrian: spend the money!

Political Umpire said...

Good luck Ms B. Incidentally never quote Rocky. Just don't, please, for those of us who love films and boxing. 'Twas Brando who said the classic line about being a contend-uh anyway, as I'm sure you know.

Political Umpire said...

Oh and I've done one of these 'tagging' things on you too, see Fora for details. You're supposed to say the seven things you're most proud of this year. These list things are turning the blogosphere into Channel 4's Xmas schedule, it would seem . . .

Mark Granier said...

Thanks for the link to the Arts & Letters page Katy. Some interesting stuff there, including an article on cave art, which I've always been fascinated by. So I've sent for the book (by Gregory Curtis); sounds fabulous.

Like your blog on New Yorker cartoonists too BTW. My fave cartoons often came from TNY, including one that shows a middleaged guy sitting in an armchair with a rueful, dreamy expression on his face. The text below goes something like this:

'When he was in Paris in the 1950s, Harold was introduced to F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, Picasso, Matisse, Gertrude Stein, Wyndham Lewis, Pound, Joyce, and Beckett. Nothing ever came of it.'

Ms Baroque said...

P-Ump, i know the wisdom with which you speak. Really I do. And of course the Brasndo is unbeatable, excepot that I love Rocky. And I knew it was wrong but it fitted with the shtick - so sue me!

Mark, glad you liked it, I love Arts & Letters Daily.

Love your Yew Yorker cartoon - it reminds me of my favourite. A middle-aged man is gazing disconsolately out the sliding glass patio doors of his neat New Jersey home... there's a fat volume on the round glass coffee table, and his wife's saying, "What I don't understand is why anyone would want to read a book called Being and Nothingness in the first place."

Ms Baroque said...

P-Umop, of course I mean the "Brando" is unbeatable, "except" that I love Rocky! But you knew that.