clinging to the future like one of those little clippy koala bears

Well, National Poetry Writing Month has so far got off to a bad start.
I know it's early days yet: my horoscope says that today I will succeed through creativity, so I can cling to that - although last Saturday it said I would meet my deadlines through getting a late start, and that basically sounded a lot better than it was. In practice.
Of course, horoscopes are not supposed to be just about the future, they are about deepening the present, and that is what National Poetry Writing Month is all about. Innit. So we'll cling to that instead.
Edited in: the koalas, or else the spirit of Ted, or else my creativity, or else my Facebook list, are helping me out here. As my kids could tell you - as any fule kno - when playing computer games the thing that makes you good is knowing the cheats. One day maybe I'll tell you what happened when Matty Bradley found the cheat for free will on Sim City. Well, it seems I've found one for this! For my Facebook chum Robert Lee Brewer has got a gig blogging NaPoWriMo prompts on a magazine called Writers' Digest! One a day! That's before the Academy of American Poets poem lands in your inbox, but after you thought you'd run out of ideas. Great stuff. And if I never get a usable poem out of it at least I get to spend the month kidding myself. I might also keep a list of rhyme words open on my desktop...
Meanwhile, here's a picture of Ted Hughes.





5 comments:
said Sylvia to Ted well pet
your fireman's career you must forget
I swerved to avoid the cat
and ran over your hat
so 'ere's the remains of your 'elmet
Rill dear, I am impressed. Your entire family has a real gift where Plath is concerned; have you ever thought of marketing it?
it's my daughter miss baroque. The Ted Hughes school for girls here in the north has a terrible effect on her:
said Ted to Sylvia 'why so low?'
said she 'if you want to know
in the future beyond
you'll be played by james bond
while I'm only worth Gwyneth Paltrow'
I have a little clippy koala bear. It was thrown to me by the (Australian) speaker at an otherwise unbearably dull conference in Taormina, Sicily, because I'd asked an intelligent question, which I've now forgotten. Such is the fleetingness of intelligence. It's still clinging to my bag, long after question and answer are mere droplets of urine in the wind...
Rilly, your daughter - but then, I've said before that she's a genius. Clearly destined for great things. Clearly the north suits her.
Charles, what can I say? Except of course, 'Ew'! (But great. Clearly my seemingly random image was the correct one.)
xx
Post a Comment