your tiny hand is frozen

Live from the Met in Zeffirelli's famous production.
The singing, just incredible. Ramón Vargas a heartbreaking Rudolfo - I don't usually like tenors (with one or two exceptions, and please try to ignore the background noise) but he is amazing - and the [insert superlative here] Angela Gheorghiu singing Mimi... Ainhoa Arteta was a gorgeous Musetta, like chocolate if that makes any sense. I don't go to the opera enough. And shock horror, I've never been to the Met. Good old La Boheme.
But oh my God, La Boheme, it's amazing: it turns out you even cry when you're just listening to it on the radio.
...or maybe that's just the commentary. What is it with these people and their loud voices, Rudolfo hadn't even got himself properly flung on Mimi's deathbed yet when some woman starts going, "This opera is all about relationships falling apart and coming back together..." and then: "I heard Puccini lived a life very much like this, didn't he? He was a starving artist... but I guess he had his fun."
Okay, I've turned it off now. Puccini himself wept like a child when he wrote the death of Mimi. Let's just remember that.





No comments:
Post a Comment