Friday, 4 August 2006

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf

Breaking news, of which anyone who knows me will realise the importance in Baroque Mansions: the great soprano Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, in fact pretty much the definitive Mozart soprano has died.

Here's the article from The Independent.

She was 90. I know she hadn't recorded since virtually before I was born. And that's the great thing about Art. ONE of its consolations.

And here is something that only goes to show how much the world has changed since Schwarzkopf made those recordings: the only mp3's I've been able to find, for a link, are actually downloadable as ring tones. Hurrah! But you can hear her online, sort of. So, happy listening - and happy shopping!

There may well be more to say, later. Meantime I have to confess it almost feels as if Mozart has just died - though I know that already happened...

No comments: