Friday, 23 February 2007

my good side

Please, dear readers, calm yourselves: if you've been wishing you could find out what kind of animal I'd secretly like to be, or whether I'd be able to share an airing cupboard with Max Hastings, now you can: my normblog profile is up. As we all know, normblog is the bee's knees!

Oddly, reading it now, I feel I might fill it in differently today than I did on the day I did it. But that's the fun of profiles! Head over there now for all the secrets you never knew about Ms B.

7 comments:

The Moon Topples said...

Ms. B: I went as directed, and read what was there. Quite a nice read. I now know gobs of things about you that I might never have learned otherwise. For instance, I learned that I am not one of your favorite blogs (sigh).

But I kind of don't understand the concept of the normblog. Will you explain it to me?

Anonymous said...

According to the tenets of Intelligent Design, the chicken was specifically created with bus riders in mind.

Ms Baroque said...

Hi Bobby! Well I'm not surprised. Obnoxious creatures all. I'm glad you appreciate that.

Now, my dear Moon, I'm sure I mentioned in my profile the impossibility of choosing, or listing. I was technically only allowed three! And you see Bobby Farouk, there, below you in the comments... you two should go check out each other's blogs right now.

As for normblog, it's a great concept. A mix of very well-informed left-wing politics, cultural musings, everyday things, and jazz. Oh, and Norm does two series: one is of writers, who write aobut one book; the other is bloggers, who answer these interesting questions.

The Periodic Englishman said...

More, more, more.

Bizarrely enough, I had just stumbled upon that blog the other day - and couldn't really make head nor tail of it, truth be told. So I was quite happy to see you explain some of it to Mr Moon.

We share a love of Mozart, it seems, and I have never, not even once, eaten chicken on a bus. I'm rather hoping that this will impress you. I just am, okay?

I don't know if I have missed this somewhere along the line - so forgive me if I am making you repeat yourself - but do you speak with an American accent? Or at least the traces of one?

For some very strange reason, when I read your words, I find this almost impossible to believe. I don't mean this in a bad way, not at all, it's just that I would be very surprised to hear that you did.

And why would you not consider sharing your life with someone who held radically different views to your own? It always surprises me when I hear someone say this. Personally, I would welcome such a thing. But then again, I do love circular and never-ending arguments. Ho-hum.

I think you should do another Normblog thingy. And another after that. And then another. Sure, your appearance there scratches an itch, but the crowd are stamping their feet and calling for more.

The crowd, I think it is fair to say, are a very voyeuristic bunch indeed. For shame.

Good to see you again, Lady Baroqueney (and thanks for not biting my head off for making you the title of one of my rant things)

Kind regards etc....

The Periodic Englishman said...

More, more, more.

Bizarrely enough, I had just stumbled upon that blog the other day - and couldn't really make head nor tail of it, truth be told. So I was quite happy to see you explain some of it to Mr Moon.

We share a love of Mozart, it seems, and I have never, not even once, eaten chicken on a bus. I'm rather hoping that this will impress you. I just am, okay?

I don't know if I have missed this somewhere along the line - so forgive me if I am making you repeat yourself - but do you speak with an American accent? Or at least the traces of one?

For some very strange reason, when I read your words, I find this almost impossible to believe. I don't mean this in a bad way, not at all, it's just that I would be very surprised to hear that you did.

And why would you not consider sharing your life with someone who held radically different views to your own? It always surprises me when I hear someone say this. Personally, I would welcome such a thing. But then again, I do love circular and never-ending arguments. Ho-hum.

I think you should do another Normblog thingy. And another after that. And then another. Sure, your appearance there scratches an itch, but the crowd are stamping their feet and calling for more.

The crowd, I think it is fair to say, are a very voyeuristic bunch indeed. For shame.

Good to see you again, Lady Baroqueney (and thanks for not biting my head off for making you the title of one of my rant things)

Kind regards etc....

Ms Baroque said...

P-Eng, I speak with something far, far worse than an American accent: a transatlantic accent. My vowels are all over the place. It's horrible.

And you know what? I'm impressed. I just knew you would never eat chicken on a bus. And leave the bones in their stupid red-&-yellow takeaway box under the seat, making the whole entire upper deck reek of old food, only for someone else to accidentally put their foot in your half-empty ketchup packet. I knew you'd never do that.

Mozart. Love 'im. I've spent the past twenty five years trying tp put the operas in order of favourite and I just can't. My joint top favourite is Cosi Fan Tutte, Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute. See - not really working, there, is it.

As to the rest, well, I can only imagine Norm was happy I didn't go on any longer than I did. I doubt he'd want any more questions from me. (As to sharing my space with a differently-viewed person, well, I hate never-ending circular arguments. I've been there and done it. Oh dear yes. And lived to tell the tale. Ms B essentially likes to take it easy, eat nice food, drink nice wine, write her things and watch EastEnders unmolested by the cultural superiority of others, surrounded by piles of poetry and lit crit volumes, and old issues of The Journalist, in an otherwise spotless abode.)

Anyway, maybe I will answer some more questions one day when I feel like it. In the meantime you are stuck with my actual blog.

Nice to see you too. Have you enabled your comments yet? We do start to panic when we can't comment.

All best...

The Periodic Englishman said...

Grave news indeed on the old accent front, Ms Baroque. What a calamity. Is there anyone you can sue? I'll happily stump up a few quid for your fighting fund.

It is rather strange, actually, to consider this news. It's funny how we (choose to) hear someone through their written words. You "sound" so very English to my inner ear. Oh well, not to worry. I'm still perfectly smitten. I'll just stick my fingers in my ears and hum wildly when I read your words from now on in. I do something similar whenever my girlfriend is telling me off.

I once had the great misfortune to hear a recording of my very own voice as I mouthed off most ignorantly about Portugal (of all things). The experience scarred me. There is just no way I sound that ridiculous. But I do. I really do. It was an agony to listen to and I simply had to stop. Unbearable. I rarely speak these days.

Mozart cuts into me. I have a terrible habit of playing particular pieces of music over and over again - it just feels like something might be revealed, I don't know. It is a beautiful pain. I'm not like my dad, though. He used to be sneering and smug about his love of classical music. Probably still is for all I know or care. But there is nothing particularly clever about listening to this stuff. The skill, surely, lies in the composition. He tended to disagree. What a goon.

Ms Baroque, you are a diseased liar. You do NOT start to panic when you are unable to comment on my blog - how I wish it were true. I did briefly enable comments again the other day, however, before shutting the thing down. Visiting other people is just so much easier.

Apart from the shocking Eastenders revelation, the rest of your habits seem just about fine. Well done, Ms B, jolly good effort. As a Big Brother addict, however, I find that the weakness of my position precludes an attack on your viewing habits. Damn this moral bankruptcy of mine.

Righty-ho. Onwards and upwards.

Kind regards etc....