Sunday, 23 September 2007

marcel marceau shuts the door behind him
















... and as usual it doesn't make a sound.

Years ago, in another century, I went to see Marceau perform. I was SO excited. And he was SO brilliant. I still have a little poster he signed for me, when I queued up at the stage door - I hope my brother still has the one I got signed for him.

Marceau - who worked in the French resistance in his late teens, and whose father was among the six million - spoke so few words in public (including notably the only line in Mel Brooks' silly film "Silent Movie") that it might be nice to remember him by these, from an interview in 2000: "...we have a great responsibility. Let us love one another."

And isn't this picture, from the Associated Press, beautiful?

(hat tip, à la Bip, to Chip Dale.)

3 comments:

Uncle Dick Madeley said...

I love the picture too.

Anonymous said...

That's Andrew Motion after a night on the town, isn't it ..?

ABJ

Ms Baroque said...

Dick, the best minds...

Andy - you rogue! How I larfed.