in which my mouth is a battlefield

Maybe it's the battlefield of Gettysburg, speaking (as I think we weren't) of the 1920 picture of my grandfather with the two old warriors... There isn't a speck of it that hasn't been pummelled, scraped, bayoneted, shot, punched, hacked at, or twisted into an unnatural position. It's full of blood. And like all good battlefields, it has a very nasty crater. I think the process of collecting up the wounded could take some days.
The instructions they gave me go like this:
Eat soft food. (Like, that's if I eat anything... and there I was going to have beef jerky.)
NO alcoholic refreshment. (There goes the medicinal brandy, then: even at Gettysburg I think they got a swig of that.)
Rest, but DO NOT lie down. Sleep with the head elevated. (Fun! I'll get a lot of sleep, then!)
Do not rinse till tomorrow. (Ugh.)
The dentist was talking a lot about the desirability of blood clots. And to think I'm missing the Pen Pusher Eight launch party for this!
Anyway, I'm exhausted. I'm just going to go and... er... recline, with my upper body elevated. Jolly japes! Soup, anyone? (You make it.)
(PS - I can only begin to imagine how Martin Amis felt. But ast least they were making his mouth look better. Mine looks like the surface of the flipping moon.)





3 comments:
What an awful battlefield indeed, Ms. B. I hope you find rest, elevated head and all.
My great-great granny gave me two fingers of Brandy for every ailment. Guess it's out of fashion.
August
Hi Ms B, buckets of empathy in your direction. I have been there many times and in the early days used to think nothing of smoking a cig or two after the event. And wondered why things turned out so bad. But I was not very bright. Speaking of which:
Did you know that according to the Blog Readability Test the reading level of your blog is apparently College (postgrad)? You can check this on http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspx
Mine is only High School.
In case you're interested. Here's an article in NYRB about weblogging.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21013
August
Post a Comment