Friday, 11 January 2008

patron, my arts

The indefatigable George Szirtes on the Arts Council cuts - I mean the New Renaissance - here.

And before anybody says anything, NO, the arts were NOT "market-driven" back in those days, as capitalism didn't yet exist - which surely goes to prove that you can produce good art outside the markets, and that "lots of people liking it enough to pay for it" isn't the same thing as "it's good work," or "it's worth having."

Back then they had a customary private patronage system. Show me a private patron and I'll write some pretty sonnets...

6 comments:

Francis Sedgemore said...

Pint for a pome.

Ms Baroque said...

You anarchists drive a hard bargain - two and you're on. But it'll have to wait till after my antibiotics.

Francis Sedgemore said...

I shall expect more than a haiku for two pints.

R.H. said...

They're contradictory, and you can't win. For instance, I'll never understand a bloke going ga-ga over another bloke, but then they'll say that means you're a homo yourself.
I find a lot of them to be very childish, throwing a tantrum when they can't get their way; and you must support them in everything, or you're homophobic. What a joke. Aside from being highly suspicious, many of them are hostile to non-homo support anyway; they enjoy the war too much.

R.H. said...

My above comment should be in the next posting. Silly me. But it doesn't matter, nice comments are welcome anywhere.

rilly super said...

I think you could be onto something here Miss B. Painters of old got to do grand epics by including their patrons in the picture as Moses or whoever. On second thoughts if we did this today it might result in James Parnell cut in half in tank of formaldehyde as his name is being written on the inside of Tracy Emin's tent and how would the country manage without him?