Monday, 19 February 2007

Edmund White and Henry James











Can this be deliberate? Or are they perhaps related?

photographs: Edmund White property of Bookslut; Henry James, by John Singer Sargent, property of HM the Queen

4 comments:

Matt said...

Probably not: I think William Faulkner described Henry James as "the nicest lady I ever met" and I don't think he was much interested in siring bastard lovechildren. I understand that most of the Victorians thought him to be, how shall I put this: lacking in "the manly virtues".

But maybe White is the son James' distant cousin or something.

I dunno.

Ms Baroque said...

Faulkner met James? Fascinating. Good Lord.

No, this is purely a spiritual relationship of course... although in the light of his incredible reticence it is not clear how comfortable The Master would have felt with his protege's totally "out" politics. Or his sex scenes.

Erin O'Brien said...

Sheesh. Bet either one of these guys was a real tiger between the sheets.

Ms Baroque said...

Erin, Edmund White is very much alive now! And, well, ageing gracefully as they say, from the looks of it. He's always been a very "out" gay writer and his sex scenes are very graphic. I'm not thinking he has problems in that area... I bet you'd like him. And his prose style is beautiful! My favourite novel of his is The Farewell Symphony, about the AIDS epidemic of the eighties.