elegantly dressed oh my God, where am I, what day is it?!?

If you were wondering where yesterday's Elegantly Dressed Wednesday post was, look no further. It was lost in a dream, and here it is.
I was looking for something else - it's always the way, as in dreams - and instead the fates have chosen to unearth this picture of Edward Gorey, elegantly reclining amidst a pile of elegant cats.*
Ms Baroque, on the other hand, spent most of yesterday narcoleptic under an enormous duvet, with nothing poking out except some curls. Has it worked? We shall see. But however that may be, Gorey's elegantly creepy drawings were a huge inspiration to me in the most darkly whimsical alleyways of my youth, and I'm glad to see that in my compulsive sleep phase I'm still on the wavelength.
When I did go out, though, I buckled, and bought a coat. There was a token attempt to find something cheap; I started in Primark in Hackney. In the end, though, there was nothing for it but to buy the one I had loved all along, the one with the enormous collar.** I think Gorey would approve.
* They don't look like mousers, do they.
**Get this. I tried on two coats in Monsoon. The first one, before I could get one that even remotely fitted around my shoulders and arms I was in a size 18, and even that was no good. The one I actually bought is a size 12. Needless to say, neither of these is my real size. If there's anyone reading this from the UK fashion/retail sector, maybe you could tell me what that's about.





2 comments:
Very fine. Though exactly how many cats are in that photo? Is that dark shape a cat or simply a dark shape?
Ooh, I love Edward Gorey - never seen a photograph of him before. Now I must go and dig out my copy of The Curious Sofa.
Puss
Post a Comment