Saturday, 27 October 2007

polite life

Okay, I know I've gone a bit quiet lately. I've been busy. Even now, at not-quite-9 on the last Saturday morning before the clocks go back, I'm dragging furniture out to the landing and practicing the exact shade of wheedle to put in my voice when I ring our long-suffering friend of the family, the one with the estate car. And that's to say nothing of - well, the things which I'll say nothing of. Just think: team awaydays... bonding drinks (and yes, we made the jokes, it turns out we're a rather puerile team)... South London...

Well, I won't tell you what happens when you try to put a Baroque south of the river. It's like being in Australia: the water doesn't go down the plug hole the wrong way round, but it was strange suddenly to realise that the big thing at the end of the road was Tate Modern, from the back. And there's virtually no view of the Post Office Tower from anywhere down there. And the trees are smaller.

Anyway, I was drinking orange-&-soda in the pub in Southwark - the hair of that dog could have killed me - except for the last two, where they put some vodka in (but you could barely taste it). The team wrote a poem, one line each, and I brought the whole thing full circle with a killing last line. As this is a decorous, perfectly judged and always exquisite blog I can't tell you what it was about, but I made sure it had a tidy little rhyme scheme, and my colleagues did their bit with a pretty consistent iambic trimeter.

So it''s been a journey. And then, in between manky outgrown socks and what to do with all the little robots, I see that someone has broached* the halls of Baroque using a Google search on "humorous earrings."**

Oh, puh-lease.

Never, again, okay? (Except that I've just repeated the phrase, so now it will happen again. Sigh.) I learned that lesson the hard way, back in the eighties when my then sister-in-law gave me a pair of Fimo Christmas puddings on earring wire. I had to wear them on Boxing Day, and I think she may have had little parcels wrapped in real wrapping paper, with infinitesimal ribbon bows, swinging from her ears. (This would have been in Chesham, which is in Zone 152 or something; strange things happen out there at the end of the tube line.) This is not the kind of thing a girl like me forgets easily.

So, and especially with the clocks going back and numerous temptations looming in the form of Jack-o-lanterns, Christmas trees, fairy lights, little skeletons that really dance, and sweet angels in real frocks, let us just establish the ground rules. (You can see I've been on an awayday.) There is no place for humorous earrings in polite life.

Sorry. That's just how it is.

* Note: not decked

** Many apologies, incidentally, for yet another mention of these blasted Google searches. I know it looks unforgivably and inanely solipsistic, not to say showy-offy. But look at it this way: even if I were that self-regarding, what would it profit me if all I had to show for it was that my main inspiration in life came from reading my stats? You see? You're feeling more superior already, aren't you.

9 comments:

Big Chip Dale said...

'There is no place for humorous earrings in polite life.'

That is such a succinct observation. I find I have exactly the same problem with humorous thongs.

Swearing Mother said...

Hi Ms B, I am definitely feeling left out of something that everyone seems to be able to do, except me (apart from getting any writing published, that is) - how do you have a look at Google to find where your visitors are sourced from and what they were looking for at the time?

I am, of course, hopeless on the internet (can't quite work out how I ever managed to start a blog, actually), but it's really bugging me that I don't know how to look at stats. Fill me in?

Ms Baroque said...

Chip, glad as I am that the baroque way is also the thonglateer way, I'm sure no thong could ever be humorous with you in it.

Swearing Mother, you go to statcounter.com and set yourself lup with a little (free) account! Easy peasy.

Charles Lambert said...

A friend of mine once asked for a pair of 'witty shorts' (the actual words, for all you Italophiles, were pantaloncini spiritosi) in a very chic shop in Via Montenapoleone, Milan. The shop assistant (for want of a haughtier expression) told her: Signora, we don't sell witty garments of any kind.

A hard lesson to learn.

Ms Robinson said...

Ms B, I do enjoy reading you: it's like the best, most perfect cup of tea and I feel enlivened when I leave.

Quink said...

Which pub in Southwark? It's rather a pet topic of mine...

Pants said...

Oi you

It has yet to be scientifically proven that water draining clockwise is any more or less efficient than water draining anti-clockwise.

I don't want us to fall out over this btw.

xxx

Pants

PS you may be interested to know that the word verification on this is pigat.

I reiterate

xxx

Pants

Ms Baroque said...

Charles, I agree. Part of being grown up is that one must rely on one's own wit, and not try to wear extra.

Ms R, why thank you! High praise. I love cups of tea.

Quink, it was the ring, right next to the station - surprisingly, it was okay, though rather full of boxing pictures. But we got there early you see and so had a table.

Pants - I apologise unreservedly: of course I meant the other way round, the way that is unfamiliar to those of us who are used only to this way. It was the best analogy I could think of to seeing the Tate from behind. As it happens, I've woken up this morning already realising I owe you an apology, and I think you know what for!! Sorry!!

Quink said...

Ah, I've only been there once, but I liked it well enough. The best ones are tucked away in Borough though...