Tuesday, 24 October 2006

the Veruca Salt of filmmaking

My darling mother, Mama Baroque, sent me this article over the weekend, to cheer me along my sickbed. It did! It is a review, by Dana Stevens at Slate.com, of the Marie Antoinette film, which opens with the sentence "Sofia Coppola is the Veruca Salt of American filmmaking." Talk about hooking the reader! (One is a total sucker for any sort of reference to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in higher discourse.)

I actually disagree with much of what she writes (is it a she?) - sometimes simply in matters of tone, as in her assessment of Lost in Translation, where what she says in a damning-with-faint-praise way I think sounds right, but praiseworthy - and I think she fails utterly to substantiate her critical stance - but it's a long time since I have been so roundly entertained.

Naturally Ms B hasn't seen the film yet, as she has not yet arisen from her bed of pain to take on, once again, the mantle of the world - but this review is keeping the flame alive.

Little Miss B did go yesterday with some friends - it's half-term, remember - and her assessment was a shrug. She liked it; her friends were bored.

Kind of like Marie Antoinette, I hear you say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the review or the film (the latter at least am dying to see), but vey curious as to what s/he meant by that comnment. After all, Veruca Salt was the I-want-I-want-gimme-gimmme kid who got kidnapped by squirrels. Spoilt, rich kid??

Ms Baroque said...

Hi Nic,

I did link to the article in my post, so check it out. Rich, spoilt kid is exactly what she's saying & I have to say it did make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Found it, got a chuckle out of it too. I had trouble with the Kirsten Dunst/Sofia Coppola combination in the beginning, but get it now ("valley girl queen", as I read in another review). Still looking forward to the movie. Also now working on working out what post-postpostfeminism is..
Nic