me me me
Isn'ty it funny how the word "meme" is like the first two-thirds of my title here? Odd, that... anyway, I've been tagged; had it been by anyone of a lesser standing than the time-travelling Political Umpire himself I might not do it - but I know that if I don't, I'll get some sort of comeuppance about two years ago.
So, gee, eight things about me... me me me... hmm...
1. Descended from John Milton. Via his daughter Mary, one of the long-suffering reader-to-ers. Oh, I'm waiting for the day I develop as supple a line.. and I don't mean a chat-up line, though that might be fun too. If it worked. Meanwhile I practice my blank-verse skills.
2. Summer squash - they're sort of like yellow zucchini, but fleshier, with big flat seeds. Love 'em. Very hard to find in London, but they seem to be selling them in Fresh & Wild at the moment, for well under a tenner each! Right now I'm eating one cooked with asparagus, and an egg, and sourdough toast.
3. On that note, my pepper mill is a beautiful wooden sphere that I bought in Copenhagen for quite a lot of money when I was about 25. It has a Nissan grinding mechanism and I never tire of its beauty.
4. I have finally finished my Louis MacNeice essay, and I am assured by two separate people that not only is it really real (I wasn't quite sure, as long as I was the only person who had seen it), it is enjoyable! As one of these two people is the editor, I am very happy indeed. (In fact, his words were, "you've done it again." Thank Christ for that.) It came to 8,012 words including my name.
5. The flat is disgusting. I need to hoover but don't have the energy. My hair, on the other hand, is pretty good at the moment.
6. My idea of disgusting will not be the same as some other people's, but it is still driving me nuts.
7. I have a gorgeous new silver pendant, long and sinuous and twisty, with leaves and vines and little nobs on the ends of them (hard to describe) that was a present from Ms Rational Self-Determinism today. We went into our favourite jewel shop - Metal Crumble, in Church Street - where we are friends with the Polish guy who works there, and it's the sale! Hurrah! All of a sudden she held up this thing of intense beauty, said it would look beautiful on my chain with my other little baubles that I always wear (though in truth it is three times their size) and that she was buying it for me. And lo, it is lovely! It was half price. The excitement.
8. I'm currently reading, thinking about reading or about to be reading, the following books, all of which are in my home:
The Lyric Touch, John Wilkinson (essays; Salt)
Gods Behaving Badly, Marie Phillips (v funny; summery novel)
poetry collections by John Ash, Oliver Reynolds and Andrew Waterhouse
Peeling the Onion, Günter Grass' memoir
Selected poems of WS Merwin
Selected poems of Frances Presley
How to Shoot a Movie Story (I'm thinking about general imagistic structural technique here, not making a movie)
(P-Ump: you happy now?)





3 comments:
I have linked to your comp on my site now.
I hate memes but yours is almost silky in its expression.
Oh very happy indeed - you would not believe how much of my life has consisted of making requests which others have declined, so any respite from rejection is a cause for considerable celebration.
I must admit when I first read this, about six years from now, my inclination was to make some sort of comment about your deft phrase "the first two-thirds", but that would be inappropriate given that the post is, as Mrs Robinson did not say, silky. She only said 'almost silky'. I have no hesitation in describing it as fully silky, not like my possum fur hat which is only a percentage possum fur and the rest Merino wool (not objectionable as a material, but it doesn't have the ecological goodness of possum fur - those blighters are an environmental disaster in my home country). If there was a word version of EDW, I'd be pointing everyone to your door (and reminding you to clean up before they arrive, based on your facts).
Clever you Ms Baroque - you've managed to comply just by being your usual interesting and charming self. Descended from Milton? No wonder you make it look so easy.
xxx
Pants
Post a Comment