Monday, 27 August 2007

what I did on my holidays

Something is very wrong. Most people who are actively engaged with contemporary poetry either feel that, or refute it, and endless arguments flare up about the state of poetry-buying, or -reading, or -writing, or -teaching. The debate goes in circles and never goes away entirely, no matter whether you're talking about Nielsen's BookData or other more informal information.

Well, I have had a revelation. I wouldn't say it was a road-to-Damascus conversion, but I was writing a review the other day of the "innovative" poet Frances Presley and I suddenly had a thought of such clarity (my first in months) that it might have knocked me off my chair if I hadn't been wedged into the smallest airplane seat in the universe, typing with my nose.

Thinking about it it isn't the most revolutionary revelation, but it did strike me forcibly. I was describing a passage of poetry based on some standing stones on Exmoor - "geo-kinetic" poetry which takes its shape on the page from the poet's experience of the shape of the stone formations, which is non-linear ("non-heirarchical") and which explores the ways in which meaning occupies words. That is, how does it? The poet splits words open (like stones) and uses pieces of them to make word formations.

Now, as I was writing about this I compared the experience of reading it to the experience of looking at paintings. I was in fact thinking of some paintings I saw at Tate St Ives this spring, by a young Cornish painter called Luke Frost. They blew me away, I was really excited by them. I went back and looked at them three times.

You could as easily say reading these poems is like looking at any "pure painting," though - any colour field painting, abstract expressionism, etc. (In the review, which by the way will be published in Poetry London, I cited Barnett Newman as the comparitor.) The aesthetic experience is essentially the same as in looking at a painting. The feeling is the same, and yes: I did find Presley's poems exciting.

Once I thought all this, I looked Luke Frost up on the Tate website. Here, in the notes for the exhibition I saw, is how they describe Frost's work: "Up to ten layers of paint – dependent upon Luke Frost’s selection of colour or tone – result in a surface that recedes into sometimes deep, sometimes shallow, recessive space. These abstract paintings imply space rather than define it through their mass and surface. The juxtaposition of contrasting colour hints at a relationship with nature. Working within the legacy of the St Ives School of Modernists, Frost is attempting to relate colour and form to create a space sensation that conveys a representational experience devoid of gesture and authorship."

Now here are some excerpts from Presley's Statement of Poetics:

"The image also permitted a movement away from the individual subject, the lyric ‘I’: the first person pronoun in this stanza is deceptively omnipresent."

"I, that is ‘she’, have taken compression as far as I can, becoming elliptical and oval (elle), who can’t see the words when she means the woods. It is a compressed line which, I hope, is simultaneously many other compressed lines, of which I can barely hear the echo without special equipment."

"The identity of words constantly shifts and changes within the language and the landscape. Like Harriet Tarlo I am interested in the ‘gaps’ in the landscape, in our lives and in our language and the influence they have on our writing."

"The non-linguistic dimension has to be given space to appear on the page."

So, my revelation is this:

Why the fuck, if the educated and/or pretentious middle classes can flock to galleries to look at paintings and have the aesthetic experience of colour fields and kinetic painting, are they incapable of experiencing the same thing when it's about geo-kinetic language fields?

Even more so, since in my experience as a writer and an editor and working in the public sector, it has come to my attention that everyone seems to think they can write. So language is apparently not arcane, doesn't feel offputting to people in the same way "Art" might. It should be more accessible!

Am I missing something? Of course, not all people are open to visual art, and many people go to galleries without ever knowing what they're looking at: they go, "that's pretty," and leave it at that. But I seems to me that there is more resistance to verbal art than to visual. People are more perplexed, more intimidated.

Is it partly because of all the manifestos and the skinny blokes going on about how alienated they are from the mainstream? (Duh. But FP is not a skinny bloke. And a lot of her poems are very anecdotal, funny, and even heartwarming, if not quite in a way Garrison Keillor might appreciate.)

I'm sure I'm just saying the same thing everyone's been saying for decades; I even have a shadowy feeling of having said similar things myself. But this realisation of having the same kind of response has made me really, really wonder exactly why it is that language-based art is so devalued, when people are clearly - clearly - open to the concept of the same kind of aesthetic experience in other media?!

I include myself in this, of course. I have become very lazy of late, even intellectually moribund. Well, that's over now.

8 comments:

Francis Sedgemore said...

The experience of visual art is place and event-based in a way that writing cannot be, and in that sense I'm not surprised by this "resistance" to verbal art to which you refer.

At the same time I'm not sure that people are especially perplexed or intimidated by verbal and textual art. Visual art can be highly intimidating for those who do not know how they are supposed to perceive it. And galleries being public spaces means that the whole experience is tied up with observers being on show as well as the things observed. That can be both motivating and off-putting, depending on the personalities involved.

Anonymous said...

Looking and seeing are two distinct acts; yet when the experience is literally visual, one can lead to the other. Reading and seeing have a more complicated relationship, and while the one may lead to the other, the journey is often difficult.

Monozygote said...

Language-based art requires the cognitive skill and the effort of literal reading, in a way that visual art does not. An illiterate person could appreciate visual art in a way that they couldn't with language-based art. Similarly, visual art crosses language barriers in a way that language-art does not. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Moggy said...

Blimey! Very interesting line of thought there. Bit difficult to follow first thing in the morning - will have to ponder. But I do agree that one can become intellectually lazy - needs stamping on sharply.

Unknown said...

Great post - I agree completely. Puts neatly into words a feeling I've had for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hello there. It seems too obvious to say so but it is a bit perplexing as to why poetry as such is not appreciated more than it is. We all speak the whole day after all, we have a natural feel and flair for language. A good poem just stretches that a little bit further and challenges the reader to play with language he or she has not done before.

I think the problem lies partly in the way poetry is taught at school, as some kind of puzzle that needs to be decoded, rather than the verbal, visual and sensual feast a good poem can be.

And no one ever says how handy a poem is: you can read them in every spare moment that you have, over and over again. A bit like listening to a catchy song on your iPod. Only that a popsong gets boring and a poem throws up a new surprise on every rereading.

Mark Granier said...

"Why the fuck, if the educated and/or pretentious middle classes can flock to galleries to look at paintings and have the aesthetic experience of colour fields and kinetic painting, are they incapable of experiencing the same thing when it's about geo-kinetic language fields?"

Hi Katy. I'll have a shot at answering that.

I am not sure which "educated and/or pretentious" people you're thinking of. If it's the same punters who shed a tear for Emin's tent and raved about Hirst's diamond-skull they are unlikely to be capable of any "aesthetic experience" in the first place.

If you are puzzled by (broadly speaking) aesthetically educated people who, while able to appreciate the colour/texture/design in abstract paintings, are stumped (or just bored) by, broadly speaking, 'innovative' poetry, there are a number of reasons why this may be so.

Painting and poetry are utterly different, much more intrinsicallly different than poetry and music. With painting (and most purely visual art), the evaluating eye comes into play before the evaluating mind. Just now, I wanted to take a picture of my neighbour's tall, lit window. The yellow light shining on the drawn blind made the window with its smaller square panes into a sepia-coloured screen, very like a painting in fact. That last comparison might have taken a few seconds to cohere, but the 'feeling' was practically immediate. Thus with painting, especially the broad colour fields of abstract expressionism, such as Rothko. Actually, abstract art (provided you don't have a prejudice against it), is actually more easy to take in at a glance, being closer to the elements of pure design.

But let's face it: paintings ARE easier to take in than poems, even straightforward poems. You can be touched by a brilliant painting in a heartbeat; the image/pattern/textures/contrasts/confluence of light and shade/whatever flash on the rods and cones, hit their appointed receptors in Memory, Pleasure, etc. and off go the fireworks and lips part for the requisite 'Oh!' Of course, you can argue that a painting has to be revisited again and again before it can be properly taken in and ruminated on. But the initial impulse to pleasure or revulsion happens in a flash.

Whether paintings are easier to 'understand' or 'appreciate' is an open question. I suspect they are. I am reading a book about the cave painters. It seems that a profound visual aesthetic flourished around 15 - 20,000 years before literature began to emerge. They had even mastered 'twisted perspective', which wasn't rediscovered till the Renaissance. I think it's funny (in a pathetic kind of way) when YBA 'critics' yabber about how painting is dead, outmoded etc. Painting has nothing to do with fashion; it's primal, in the bones.

And so, I sometimes think, is the urge to write poetry. But then, 'poetry' means so many different things to different people. I like to believe I am open to innovative poems (minus the inverted commas that denote a more specific category). But I am impatient with poems that wear their ideas on their sleeve, that seem to be (above and before anything else) linguistic obstacle courses: poems about the process of trying to write poetry about the process of looking into the process of looking... Poems (or 'statements of poetics') that actually parade their infatuation with jargon ('the lyric I'), or was that "ironic"? My impulse is to wonder why the poet didn't just go and WRITE the damned thing (apologies for the caps but I can't seem to get italics). "The ways in which meaning occupies words"? But surely the best poems encapsulate this without needing to SAY it. I am all for mimesis, but 'geo-kinetic' poetry!? Why not plastic poetry then, precipatory poetry (poems that mime the weather-cycle), LASAR poetics... ? This kind of poetry is, it seems to me, about as far as one can get from painting, or any straightforward visual art. The most effective poems and paintings are, to my mind, very wary of 'ideas' , especially self-conscious ideas, ideas in love with BEING ideas. Unless you're a therotical physicist, ideas are two a penny. Everybody has them. Artists and poets move beyond them, into the landscape, the moment, the made work.

There, grumpy old man rant over (for now).

Ms Baroque said...

Thanks, all you lot. Great comments - thanks. I'm too tired and woolly-headed today to answer you properly... anyway the post was essentially a rant, so that's all right!

Mark, of course you're right. No apologies needed!