summer competition! win a prize!

To celebrate the month of August - as well as the duplicate copy of the summer issue of Poetry London, retail price £5, that plopped through the baroque letter box the other day - I am holding the first-ever Baroque in Hackney competition.
Don't get excited! It's exactly the kind of competition you'd expect of me, I'm just setting everybody some homework. But it's a great issue of the magazine, with new poems by Ciaran Carson and Jamie McKendrick, as well as many others, plus some fab reviews - both by, and of, very interesting poets - and of course the usual impressively comprehensive Poetry London event & course listings.
I want you to think of a poem - any poem at all - that you have ever loved, or liked, and write something about it. Just something short, engaging, not too serious unless you want to be. Be funny if you like, I love funny things.
Why did you like it? Who showed it to you? Did a teacher ruin it for you? Did you write it when you were 7? Did you give it to a girl, pretending it was your own work? Was it Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall? Do you know it by heart?
The deadline is 5pm, next Monday, August 20th.
Please email entries to the email address in my sidebar. Please enter!
I will publish the ones I think are interesting and fun (which they all will be), and the one I love the most will win, and I will send the winner this copy of Poetry London. In the event that the winner already has a copy of Poetry London, I will send something else, which will be commensurate. Don't you worry.
And I might throw some sweets in too.





5 comments:
Miss, if this is homework then aren't you supposed to tell us which poem to read and what we're supposed to think about it?
There's an Australian blog called Sorrow at Sills Bend whose kooky author is devoted like yourself. She's a bit strange -which I don't say you are, but which is an asset anyway. Well to be honest I do consider you a bit odd. And lovely, and clever.
on the subject of nursery rhymes ... the medical people at glastonbury festival used to get delusional drug abusers pacified and re-focussed by gently persuading them to recite nursery rhymes
I am here under the recommendation of Ms R - I wish I could say I was smart enough to find this Smart Blog on my own... but that would be lie.
However, it's nice to be here.
Rilly, oops... well, think of it as fun, then!
RH, thanks for the tip, and the compliments.
Tristan that makes sense to me. I love nursery rhymes, they are part of us.
Boxer, nice to see you too!
Post a Comment