in which Ms B has arrived

I am waiting for my copy of The Bookaholics' Guide to Book Blogs to arrive in the post - published by Marion Boyars, due out on the 20th.The excitement is intense, because of this: when I emailed the publishers to ask charmingly and convincingly for a review copy, they replied that they wanted to send me one anyway, because I'm IN it!
Furthermore, when they were asked by the mighty Mark Thwaite of ReadySteadyBook - and the Book Depository - to name their top ten book blogs, Baroque in Hackney was on the list!! Not only that, but "straightforwardly a fun read."
Dears, I can't even tell you. The news arrived right after my computer ate a whole afternoon's work, at work. I was about to jump out the window when I heard the wonderful news - and even though about three feet under the window is a flat roof, it still wasn't going to be pretty, because that is where my colleagues empty their tea mugs.
Anyway, I will try to live up to this accolade, and to begin by sounding quite bookish I can tell you I am hot on the trail of an idea for my Hecht essay! (Wow.)
And my Oxfam CD arrived. It's got lots of fabulous poets on it. But I'm too excited to listen.
I'll let you know more when I get the book.





10 comments:
And some of us knew you when you were a struggling young blogger.
Occasionally, the universe works.
Such good news! Congratulations...
Well deserved. How fabulous.
Congrats, dearie.
Puss
Fanatastic news - and OF COURSE you would be in it!
xxx
Pants
What can I say? Congratulations!
Yes, congratulations! (I've just reviewed the book)
And some of us knew you when you were taking notes at family meetings. Very nicely done, sweet. (The rest of us always knew you weren't low-brow)
xxoo
Sis
And a very few of us knew you even before then! We are the least surprised of all . . . and the most proud. "A German intellectual with a British sense of humor," said the duc. You were, I believe, eight. At fourteen, we decided you should have been born into the age of the literary salon. Now, it seems, you were right on time.
Mama B.
Thanks all you lot! Well, we shall see. As I said to the publishers in my charming email, I still have quite a lot to say about this pesky question of the blogosphere killing off critical thinking (like as if), and I am hoping to utilise this book in mounting a counterassault.
There's an interesting discussion over at the Fiction Bitch (I don't know how to make links in comments, sorry) which I shall also go into in more depth at some later time. Like after I've seen the book.
Ah, happy days!
No surprise. Not to me.
I always knew.
Post a Comment