Tuesday, 19 December 2006

a celebration of the obvious








man, worried, in a cab


Last week I saw Anthony Minghella's new hymn to middle-class angst, Breaking and Entering. There's more to say about this film than I have time for, and possibly more than it deserves. So, after a nod to the great look of the thing - and why shouldn't it look great, Minghella has a fine eye for texture and has (under-)used some prime London locations - I'll move right along to the point.

(Yawn.)

My suspicion is that Minghella's heart (he's admitted in interviews that he's driven by the heart, not the head, which accounts for sloppy, cosy choices made throughout this film) may well be in the right place, as the film seeks to remind us that 'everybody isn't like us, you know, and some of them are actually quite cultured'. Hence the thieving boy who wants to be an architect, the gangster who doesn't lay a hand on him when he gets them caught, the brave Bosnian mum who plays her piano on a practice keyboard, the knock-em-dead-glammy prozzie who not only has a heart of gold but also (brilliant stroke!) pays for the cappuccino... and returns Jude Law's car with a fox puppet in it, after she's stolen (sorry, I mean borrowed) it. (The puppet is an in-joke: she's telling him to get in touch with his "wild" side. Of which she herself is an exponent. It's not exactly War and Peace, is it.)

The signifiers in this film were scarily blunt: the African cleaner suddenly, following a segue that practically doesn't exist, blurts out: "This is just like Kafka!" (And no it isn't; she's just showing off.) And there's a shot of the overcrowded (but quite tasteful) council flat occupied by Juliette Binoche - in the Brunswick Centre, an estate so lauded in architectural and design circles that it's the last place a real refugee could hope to be housed - which suddenly glances over a hefty biography of Stravinsky, sitting on a table. Um - twice. Once we see it, then it shows us Jude Law seeing it. The point must be that we, the viewer, are supposed to be surprised to see it, thus exposing our prejudices. Unfortunately for Minghella, as we the viewer have no particular prejudices in this regard, having carted lorry-loads of highbrow books from overcrowded flat to overcrowded flat for years, it only exposes his.

Of course we all know that London for different people, for different groups of people, is different cities. Jude Law's character (or anti-character, so bland is he) thinks it's merely arty to have an office in a warehouse by a broken fence down an alleyway behind Kings Cross station, and never realises that his skylights could be part of the problem. Is there really anyone in London as gormless as this? He trusts everyone. And although he is clearly very worried (see pic above), nothing really impinges on his comfort, material or emotional. This sounds fine, as characterisation, but there are worrying signs that the characterisation is in fact of Minghella.

Jude Law's character can well afford to be generous. The film is much more generous to him than to Binoche's character - notwithstanding her plucky bravery and European nobility of spirit. Near the end, his complacent mistreatment of her (on Stock Location Number Five, the top of Parliament Hill: a great place for a secret rendezvous!) becomes the most shocking thing in the film (because so believable and, frankly, so typical) - and his subsequent last-minute decision not actually to destroy her life along with her son's is portrayed as somehow heroic, generous, wonderful, rather than merely putting him back in the human race.

Of course it's all very sad, really: the Bosnian mother and son disappear without a word, scuttling into the teeming crowd. But we know they are about to go back to Bosnia, so they will be no future trouble to Law and his impossibly tall Scandinavian wife.

And of course, he may experience some discomfort over the fact that Binoche was only sleeping with him to try and blackmail him to protect her son, the (lovely, really) Artful Dodger who broke into the office. But ultimately it means that no matter how much of a shit Law is, it doesn't really matter because she didn't love him anyway.

His wife is a monster. I'm not sure that is really to the benefit of the movie; surely the obvious point that London can be a mean, hostile place would be more subtly - and forcefully- made if we were comparing immigrants and refugees with a normal middle-class woman, not a spoilt, vapid bitch? I do feel that giving her a character should have been the job of the filmmaker. As it was I was unable to tell if I was supposed to find her sympathetic on the grounds that 'money can't buy you happiness' or repellant, which in fact she was.

There are good touches. Binoche's styling and wardrobe betray precisely the desperate attempts at glamour of someone who doesn't stand a chance (tellingly, in the scene where she sleeps with Law, stripping down to a nylon slip and very functional bra), while the Scandinavian depressive has a wall of built-in wardrobe and can afford to wear boho-chic Converse. But is it overkill? Does anyone at all still wear those slips??

Over and over Minghella does this: hammers home an insight that was already obvious all on its own. You get the feeling he doesn't even realise what a big baby his character is.

It pains me to think that there is anyone as gormless as this couple actually living in this city. It pains me even more to think that Anthony Minghella may not have realised how gormless they really are. His film takes the safe, comfortable route every time there is a choice to be made, giving the council-estate women chic orange glass lamps and retro fittings, and allowing Law's babyishness to reside under a veneer of vague, respectable concern. Ultimately the middle-class viewer can, if he or she wishes, leave the cinema feeling pretty damn good for having spotted the Stravinsky.

And yet in movie terms these people may not be all that bad. The friend I saw it with expostulated afterwards: "You know, this could easily have been a Richard Curtis film."

5 comments:

kris said...

There is something compelling, yet repellant about Jude Law...He's no Richard Burton.

And because of that, this stultifying mediocrity, PC Bitseach and I would prefer, instead, to see "Jackass 2". Whoo hoo!

The Periodic Englishman said...

Thanks for the heads up - that sounds like one film I need never trouble myself with. My girlfriend is something of a Jude Law fanatic and has been dropping ominous hints about watching this film.

Whilst I am happy to concede that he is luminously beautiful, I've always been left cold by his acting. He lacks depth and never really seems properly engaged or engaging.

Mind you, as I behold that picture ("man, worried, in a cab") I am forced to reconsider my view of his skills. The almost imperceptible narrowing of the eyes - masterful. The force of it makes me feel like I'm right there beside him, worried, in a cab.

Powerful stuff. Did you ever see that film, by the way, where Jude Law talks to a teddy bear? I think an alien/robot child may have been involved - the name of the thing clean eludes me, however. Anyway, it made me want to die just that little bit quicker. The memory of it, though, allows me to rebuff my girlfriend's overtures as she crazily considers giving Jude another chance. Even she has her limits and remains scarred by that particular film. What the hell was it called?

Films, incidentally, that allow the middle classes to feel even smugger about themselves, are invariably ghastly affairs. And the one you have so eloquently critiqued sounds no different.

Buyer beware.

Yours etc,

Man, sneering, in his bedclothes.

The Periodic Englishman said...

AI: Artificial Intelligence (2001).

It was annoying me, sorry. Wikipedia is good for something, after all.

Kind regards etc...

Political Umpire said...

The teddy bear was the best actor and the best part in that film by some distance (and I wish I was joking). The tragedy is that a great director - Stanley Kubrick - thought of the idea for the film (though it originated in a short story, I think by Philip K Dick, as with many a sci fi film) but handed it over to Spielberg because he thought that it was more Spielberg's sort of thing. Then he died before Spielberg made it. Having seen the film I have to say that was a wise decision - he may well have died watching it.

I thought Jude Law was quite good in Talented Mr Ripley, and in Wilde (I'm straight enough to cope the gay sex, incidentally, which seems to be the first remark anyone makes about that film). But he was absolutely awful in the awful Cold Mountain, and I've avoided his films since by and large. Road to Perdition was grossly underwhelming, as a whole and in respect of his performance. I'm trying not to think of any other examples as I'd rather write about films I enjoy! So thanks from me too to Ms B for warding me off another clanger.

Ms Baroque said...

Well, you might find it better than I did.

I think this is the first film I've ever seen Jude Law in, so the novelty for me was seeing someone who before that was a tabloid tableau actually moving. But he didn't move much. Just sighed exasperatedly and looked around helplessly a lot.