elegantly dressed birthday

I know this is a massive cheat, but sometimes the accoutrements are as important as the garments. And trust me: this breakfast looks a sight more elegant than Ms B this morning! It is a shame not to look as elegant as the phrase "the baroque birthday" might suggest, but I'm afraid that is just now it is. Elegance can come from within, as we know, and it can also come from so far without that it is in the furnishings.
I always think some nice china can improve almost anything. I have a massive thing for cups and dishes, jugs and vases. The plain cream vase is one of two I have - the other one is about four inches in diameter - and I love them. They re quite old but I don't know how old and can't even remember where they came from.
The flowers are on their way out, but are two weeks old and have been beautiful. The adorable black spotty cup is a present! Christine (aka the Cat Lady) has delightfully given me a pair of them for my birthday - she was worried because "they've been out for ages," but I have actually, in fact, been hankering after them for ages! So that works out. The bowl contains blueberries, nectarine, strawberries and yoghurt. No fat.
It's very late to be posting a breakfast picture, but by a miracle I slept until nearly ten! And, yes, ate my little breakfast at noon. I did waste my morning trying to google something amusing about my birthday, but failed utterly, only getting sidetracked into the depressing story of Sir Thomas Wyatt's only son, Thomas Wyatt the younger, who was beheaded on this day in 1554 for leading a rebellion to prevent Bloody Mary from marrying Philip II of Spain. (It didn't work: she married him anyway, of course. She was in foolishly in love with him, though for him it was just political expediency, and I myself have seen her personal prayerbook stained and hardened with the salt of her tears.)
I do share a birthday with the poet ("poor, mad") Christopher Smart, born in 1722, who is most famous for his poem about his cat, Jeffrey (which I will not reprise here, but of which I am sure the Cat Lady would approve). But I knew that already.
Ms Rational Self-Determinism tried to wreck the vibe by ringing me up and asking how old I was, because she can't remember. "Good," I said.
Not sure what next.* It's strange being off sick on your birthday. I had a lovely card from the team at work, though. In a hot pink envelope. Coffee, somewhere, in a bit. Oh, my dreamlike days! My limbs are pulling strangely downwards, and my brain is in a fuzz. Where is the intellegual rigour? I'll take the kids out for dinner, at some comparatively vast expense. I think I could eat a seafood pizza, if I told them to hold the olive oil.** And I'm just waiting for the day when a birthday treat doesn't have to be on my tab.
However, I'm wearing a groovy top I haven't fitted for ages!
* Secretly, I think I feel like going and having another little kip...
** Later. Okay, here's the deal. Seafood pizza really needs olive oil. Dried-out mussels are not a good thing.





13 comments:
Happy Birthday Ms B!
Many happy returns.
Nothing wrong with having a little kip on your birthday. If ever you should be allowed to have a little kip, it should be on your birthday. I take every opportunity to have a little kip, which is not nearly often enough.
Happy birthday, Ms B. Christopher Smart was born near the river Medway downstream from where I live. There are lines from Jubilate Agno I love even though I don't understand them.
TSP, thank you kindly!
Brit, hi there, and thanks. I didn't have the kip - I had two strong coffees instead, possibly a tactical error, but delicious. I've had so much opportunity for daytime sleeping in the past month that I'm actually sick of it.
RTS, that's nice! I love that sense of connection.
Is this one of the lines you mean?
"Let Shemaiah bless God with the Caterpiller - the minister of vengeance is the harbinger of mercy."
Here's one, though:
"For grey hairs are honourable and tell every one of them to the glory of God."
Argh!
Happy birthday!
Lovely china.
Happy Birthday, Ms Baroque.
I hope you have enjoyed your day, even if you are still not properly well. And I hope you find something delicious and fat-free for your birthday dinner.
I like - especially the grey hairs one which I will memorise for future use. I like these:
For flowers have great virtues for all the senses.
For the flower glorifies God and the root parries the adversary.
For the flowers have their angels even the words of God's Creation.
For the warp and woof of flowers are worked by perpetual moving spirits.
For flowers are good both for the living and the dead.
For there is a language of flowers.
For there is a sound reasoning upon all flowers.
For elegant phrases are nothing but flowers.
For flowers are peculiarly the poetry of Christ.
Dandelion, thanks!
Liz, yes thanks, it was fab. And perfect spring weather.
RTS, yes, those are class. See, I love Smart, he's sort of Blakean without being scary.
Happy Birthday, Ms. B.
I have explained on my blog my new intentions to steal your handbag, but now that I know it is your birthday, I shall delay my plans a bit.
You're welcome.
This is the day you were born,
the day you know as the day
of your birth, the day you don’t
know unless Mom says, this is
my recollection: it was
a dark and stormy night, and
by morning it was sunny.
Maht, thank you, your magnanimity is engraved on my heart. I love that bag.
Bobby, thanks too! As it happens, I was born with the sun, at 6.30am.
Just in time, with five minutes to spare - happy birthday, Ms B!
Happy Belated Birthday!!
Post a Comment