from the Sloop Inn

This post comes to you from the only place in St Ives with a public internet connection, aside from the library, which doesn't open again till Tuesday. It's a very old, black-beamed and black-panelled pub called the Sloop Inn, just on the waterfront and thus very crowded, with execrable music.* I have had to sit six feet away from a very noisy and cretinous group of drunken louts - and that's not name-calling. Speaking of the bliss that is Anywhere Outside London, when I sat down and opened my iBook the louts had a loutish conversation of grunts, laughter and pointing, all about its pristine beauty and how much fun it would be to "get it."
In other news, I know it's bad form, but I do eke hours of enjoyment from the senders' names in my spam box. The days are gone when people could get a chuckle from the punning or symbolic names of fictional characters: it's all realism now. So my innocent little game has an almost illicit feel, as I imagine what someone like Dickens or Henry James would do with some of these names.
Here is a list of some of the best names I have received spam from in the last two days alone! So sue me.
Hangnail F Bumbled
Banefuller L Impeccable
Cabinet B Upstart
Farmer Q Shick
Leslie Friedman
Ebony Goins
Lucien L Hickok
Now, that is a book I'd love to write! Or to read. Maybe I should put Chip Dale onto it.
(n.b. two days later. Today's spam names are: Venally U. Shuttlecock, Krikorian M. Dement, Goodwater Blandville and Pollack P. Rhein. Any of these would do a novel proud.)
* edited in to say that that next time I went into the Sloop they were playing Amy Winehouse. So it was fine.





7 comments:
I'm giving some thought to this book I'm being encouraged to write. And when I do, I'll definitely include some of these names. I might have to make some small changes, though. I'm really keen on writing about somebody called Ebony Groins.
Do you think it's too early for me to take this idea to an agent?
a.) So sad that fuckwits are polluting one of my favourite pubs in one of my favourite towns. May a small Cornish tsunami consume them.
b.) Spammers can't be all bad if one of them came up with the name Ebony Goins.
What an excellently April 1 post. Have a lovely time.
I'll have you know I have published many short stories under the name of Cabinet B. Upstart, I cannot believe you did not respond to my email!
Chip, I think you could flesh it out a tiny bit... maybe the heroine could be Ivory Grins?
Hi Dick, a) When I go back in there I'll drink to you and you can pretend you were there! b) I so agree.
Meredith, we live to serve here in Baroqueville.
Dear Mr Upstart, I'm crestfallen -if not even moonfallen. Next time I'll know better. And next time don't try to sell me viagra!
Ms. B.: I don't sell Viagra. I sell dreams!
Hi Ms B - came over via Fiction Bitch. (Probably Friction Butch if she sent spam.)
Last year when we were camping in Cornwall I spent many hours in a launderette with an internet connection. The joys of putting every possession through the dryers following the tsunami possibly unleashed by Dick Jones ...
Post a Comment