Freelance nutter gets new gig
I see that Yvonne Ridley (aka "Sister Yvonne") – former English tabloid journalist, current spittle-flecked* Islamist and sufferer from Stockholm Syndrome – has joined the staff of Iran's latest propaganda initiative. Press TV is aimed at viewers in Europe and the US, and has as its chief news anchor a real Lord Haw Haw character in Henry Morton ("Salaam, and welcome.").
Ridley has had a chequered journalistic career, and it will be interesting to see how this comical Wahhabist fares under Iranian Shia tutelage. Ridley worked until recently for the London-based Islam Channel, but was given the boot after offending its Saudi backers. Only that's not how Ridley's friends describe the affair. In a brilliant display of originality and political acumen, the Ridley fanclub claim that it was all part of a cunning plot cooked up by the Board of Deputies of British Jews.
In 2003, Ridley was fired by al-Jazeera from her position as editor of the TV station's English-language service. Angry at her dismissal, Ridley is said to have "declared jihad on al-Jazeera". She sued for unfair dismissal, and won a settlement that no doubt buggered up her dole claim.
Back to Ridley's current employ. I was approached in January by a certain Keivan Hassanpour of Press TV with a view to working with the new channel. Maybe I was seen as someone who could carry news of Iran's scientific triumphs to the western world, and enthusiastically present its side of the nuclear story. Whatever the reason, it says a lot about the thoroughness of the station's HR procedures.
But that's by the bye, and while I am always open to new commissions, I'm not that desperate. Still, if I had access to a satellite receiver, I would definitely tune in to Press TV from time to time for a spot of light entertainment. Fawning interviews with Hugo Chávez sound absolutely delightful, as do live political debates hosted by "Sister Yvonne".
Going by Ridley's track record, however, it's unlikely she will be there for long.
* Talking of spittle-flecked, did any of you catch Melanie Phillips blowing a gasket on yesterday's Moral Maze programme on Radio 4? You can listen to the programme online for one week after broadcast.
Aside from the raving bag lady with an NUJ card, it was in parts an intelligent discussion about the nature of Islamism and religious-inspired terrorism. Shiv Malik was particularly good. In the second part of the programme, the Muslim Council of Britain's Inayat Bunglawala had his arguments disassembled with surgical precision, and received a severe verbal kicking from Phillips.
One of the highlights of the programme was sometime biologist and regular critic of Israel Steven Rose lambasting Phillips for her obsession with "The Jewish Problem". Following Rose's tactful intervention, the stunned bag lady made a few strangulated noises in protest, and was promptly shut up by presenter Michael Buerke. I was driving at the time and had to stop the car, so distracted was I with what was coming over the airwaves.





11 comments:
Sometimes it's a good idea not to listen to the Moral Maze - especially when driving.
I can only begin to imagine what it must be like to be married to Melanie Phillips. Even a trip to the supermarket must fraught with anxiety.Why is she so angry?
Dave - the same could be said of the ITV programme in which you regularly take part. I never take offence at your comments, but that Christina Odone annoys me intensely!
Ahh, well this post almost made me go and have a listen. Only the filthy mood du jour prevented me.
Why is she so angry?
Maybe because islamo-terror attacks are becoming the rule rather than the exception lately- and some people seem to be having difficulty in understanding that those attacks are related...
On a lighter note, perhaps one should not be listening to such contentious arguments whilst recovering! Is Belle Epoch off the menu? It's a little oasis of civilization.
Kris, I wasn't! It was my friend the disgruntled timepiece-maker of old Switzerland!
Belle Epoch - EXCELLENT idea. Love that movie! If I had gold stars I'd give you one.
However, I did just write my review of "Cousin Cousine" for LoveFilm - the only movie I've watched all week. I'll post it. A romp, you'll be pleased to note.
Steerforth - Melanie Phillips is married to Joshua Rosenberg ('Rosenbeard' or, seasonally, 'Frozenbeard' to the Eye). I've met the chap a few times, though doubt he would remember me. Charming on one level. Pompous self serving pillock on another. Amusingly faux toff but without the wit or other appeal of Boris Johnson, though Rosenbeard certainly is aware everyone thinks him a pompous berk.
He knocks around for the Torygraph these days, though for years he was a legal correspondent for the BBC. They still have him on from time to time. He isn't much like Melanie (no more than one per household would be sensible, after all), though being a legal hack he doesn't really have the opportunity, so I don't know much of his political views. They have children, which is surprising given ... alright let's not go there.
Anyway, his preening antics in public I always found annoying and amusing in roughly equal measure, until one episode a few years back. We both attended a dinner at the temple where Lord Steyn made a jokey sort of speech about sleeping judges. Just as fate would have it, less than a week later a judge DID fall asleep in court (why they don't more often is a source of wonder to me, it's so damn boring most of the time). The BBC wheeled Joshua onto their breakfast show, where he cheerily repeated Steyn's speech virtually word for word without a hint of acknowledgement. Cheap little plagiaristic knob, I thought then and ever since.
P-Ump, do have some more wine...
:loves her friends:
ooh yes please, it's Friday afternoon after all.
*sip sip glug glug* here have some too, and pass the cheese board, if you don't mind.
"the Board of Deputies of British Jews"
That's a band out of Llannelli, right? I saw them open for Blood Libel Gone South last year at the Hugh of Lincoln Festival.
The version of this article on my own website is attracting considerable attention from what I take to be journalists in the Press TV newsroom. There's a whole bunch IP's involved, all belonging to the TV station.
Given that the first of these visitors came upon the blog via a Google search for "Press TV Henry Morton", I assume that the Iranians are smarting over the ridicule coming from many western commentators.
Salaam, Press TV hacks!
Post a Comment