national treasure love shock!
Do you know? I almost forgot why Alan Bennett is the so-called National Treasure he is, so bored had I become with the constant adulation one encounters whenever his name is mentioned. But I've seen his plays, watched his movies, read his books. I should have remembered.
And now I've just finished watching - so belatedly (this is one play I didn't make it to) - The History Boys. I wish, now, badly, that I had seen it on the stage. I love it. It is full of scenes of immense delicacy and power. It's subtle, but I can't help thinking it must have been more so on the stage. There's a slickefying thing that happens when they turn something into a movie, especially something by Alan Bennett, I feel. The intimacy is lost. Reading his books he whispers into your ear; seeing a play the actors speak only to you; and you can see them, really see them: it's warts and all. But on the screen there have been too many opportunities to make it perfect, which always means making it that bit more bland, corporate, safe.
I remember reading some reviews when the film came out that put it very cogently, all the flaws, a catalogue of "things that were better in the play;" but here are some things that are really working in the film.
Richard Griffiths is astounding, as always, and as large with humanity and love as with - ahem - corpulence. Sure, he's a caricature, but he's alive. Oh, and increasingly I idolise Frances de la Tour; can that be so wrong??
And as "ye will know the tree by its fruits," so the serial surprise of all that Griffiths' teacher Hector has given the boys, the sight of it sticking to each of them in his own way, keeps surprising in a way mere caricature can't. One scene, in fact, surprised me into tears: the two boys suddenly breaking into a pitch-perfect rendition of the closing scene of Brief Encounter. Deliciously cheesy, painfully brilliant, gorgeously done. In its own small way, as poignant as the original. (This is, as someone was asking the other day for a definition, exactly what ekphrastic art should be and do: take a work of art as a starting place and then spring off into your own thing.)
It's code, of course: not only is the film about the point where an old style of teaching (and learning) lost the fight to the Thatcherite (now Blairite) way, it is also about the old and new styles of being homosexual; the boy in this scene, Posner, is realising that he is gay, and is doomed to follow in the footsteps of Hector's particular tragedy. It strikes me that I have read reviews that cavilled with this (and other elements of the play), that said it was too anachronistic to work. Of course the roots of the story lie in the fifties, but that was felt too remote, so it was moved to 1983. I think in this knowledge one might afford Bennett a little latitude: the emotional power of this piece is so strong and true that even a slight suspension of disbelief is more than enough.
The boys are wonderful. The younger, cynical, new-style teacher, Irwin - who is overtly placed as Griffiths' successor - turns out also to be gay, but even post-Stonewall this is portrayed as slightly tragic... I remember 1983, I remember how even in London it seemed a little risqué to be really openly gay... people made much more of a fuss of it than they do now.
So, the boys. Dominic Cooper as Dakin, the sex-crazed - no, power-hungry - boy (Frances de la Tour in the film calls him "cunt-struck,", but by the end of the film he's asking the new teacher to suck him off, and this is another scene where I was gasping: Stephen Campbell Moore, as Irwin, is so scared here that you can feel the sweat, and it is all so incredibly sexy that even watching it you're afraid, remembering who the boy is); even though you can see what Dakin's like you can't help feeling the attraction. (Yet another scene that blew me away, without giving anything away, is near the end, in the hallway, when Hector and Irwin have a deep, deeply honest, and almost unspoken conversation about their feelings for the boys. This is before the propositioning scene, and sets us up for it of course, because.... no, see the film.)
Samuel Barnett as Posner, the gay boy, is beautiful. He sings like an angel. (Hector teaches them songs; when Posner sings "Bewitched, Botherd and Bewildered," mainly to Dakin, with whom he is openly in unrequited love, it does in fact function dramatically, and emotionally.)
(Aside: You know. John Sutherland might have been right up to a point when he said in a review that the music was wrong for 1983, and even goes so far as to suggest that Posner would have liked Boy George! Good grief. The boys are frequently seen with Walkman earphones; but we're being shown their life in the classroom. and not long at all after 1983 we had a huge craze for Nina Simone; even in 1983 Bryan Ferry was covering old songs; so I think it's fine.)
Oh, in short, I think it's a fine film! It's a film about love. And loss, as each of the boys is about to lose their childhood - it's that drenched cusp. And mortality, realising who and what you really are. It's visually beautiful. And it has totally reminded me why I love Alan Bennett.
Oh, and by the way: you may be reading this and feeling like you want to be reminded of Dead Poets' Society; don't be. Just don't.





8 comments:
It's tough when someone with real talent gets adulation from the common folk
Posner singing "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" is, for me, one of the great beautiful moments on film. Another one I rate as highly is the scene in American Beauty where the polythene bags dance in the wind.
Lanky, hi there. Well - it's worse when someone with no talent does! I just hate to see the chocolate-box tendency kicking in.
Once I was crossing the road at the top of Drury Lane and suddenly Alan Bennett came past on his bicycle. I can't tell you how it made my day! Why?? And everyone I told was really happy and excited too. Basically we do love him, and we love knowing that he's cycling around having his London day, I think. It was funny.
RTS, ah yes! Well there are so many moments there. For me it was the Brief Encounter - and really, the ones I mention: Irwin, and then Irwin and Hector. It's beautiful.
I should re-watch American Beauty - I was blown away by it but then annoyed at the ending. Too sensationalist. I think I remember the plastic bags, vaguely. I'll give it a look.
You are back on form Baroque, you gifted..Love is all it is, and your instinct led to you airing - what i am assuming is a poetic neologism coined by some po-mo practitioner who engages in:
ekphrastic: from the Greek ek and phrasis, "out" and "speak" respectively, verb ekphrazein, to proclaim or call an inanimate object by name.
And having re-read my response to your somewhat stark and..erm..baroque portrait of contemporary Hackney life, see that the rubbish i wrote was not copmpletely without merit. Not as poetry, but the substance or force of - what i choose to beleive as - fiction, decoded; ie poetry expainable, what i've been searching to do since we first met as fellow bores on the wider converational floe.
For what this deposit proves to me, or rather affirms, is my own touch baseness or what i coined as "knack and know." The somple words that expalin a million pictures, the bleddy that takes a billion words to arrive at spelling. Simple call and return, once moi is removed from the quation, we sing truth, and if we are addicted to verse, poetically. And even the embarrising failures, the sheer idiocy in the poses we struck before the ekpraisis was outed and discovered to be genuine druidical lay, rann and blah blah..we get the picture, you, moi, duo and double, three in the bag guaranteed meterical understanding. Singing of Love is better than itemnising a shopping list of misfortune in a register of bitterness, for the trick opf a poet is to sing of winning, even when our life is painfully not, when the physical wounding and sheer scale of invasion, is not something others wnat to be associated with, in a professional capacity, depositing only the one liner designed to finish you off.
Katy Bush for Poet of the week award, gets my vote..
The History Boys was a fantastic film. Steve and I watched it together and were both gripped all the way through. I wasn't sure afterwards though whether I would feel able to watch it again for a few years. I won't run a spoiler here, but I found the ending emotionally draining after the boisterous hilarity of the first half.
It was like Dead Poets Society in that way at least ... and perhaps reflects, in its structure, our own awareness as adults that the soap bubble shine of youth can't last forever. Brideshead Revisited is another story that devours its own children in a similar way. A Bildungsroman, I suppose, but of a certain type. The sudden and shocking disillusionment of having to grow up - discovering that we are mortal, after all, and not even particularly special, not children of the gods - and how different people deal with that.
Anyway, great film! And as you said, the boys' re-enacted scene from Brief Encounter is superb ... utterly superb.
I saw The History Boys at the cinema with a friend from work. Neither of us knew anything about it before we went in so had no preconceptions. We loved it! I know what jane holland is referring to in her comment - I was shocked. I thought the film was ending when Irwin and Hector went off together and I certainly didn't expect another half hour of film to follow.
I had a slight issue with the setting because I was 16 in 1983 and I don't remember the world being remotely like it is portrayed in the film; we certainly didn't have teachers like Hector and Mrs Tott at my school! The dialogue is totally unrealistic, but it's so good that frankly, I don't care if 16 year olds are speaking like 50 year olds. It works.
I didn't know that The History Boys had been a play before I saw the film, but I guessed within the first couple of scenes as it had a very 'stagey' feel to it - which I really liked. Wouldn't it be great if people really did speak such witty dialogue and spontaneously burst into song like that in real life?
I saw The History Boys at the theatre. I mention this purely to make you sick.
Liz, my dialogue is always witty and I burst spontaneously into song at regular intervals ... doesn't everyone? People stare, but what the hell, what the hell.
I was - oh god - 17 in 1983, I think. Give or take a few decades. There were a number of highly eccentric teachers at my school, thank goodness, though obviously in the History Boys the figures are stage-size rather than human-size.
It was a public girls' school in an odd location, which may account for it. Some of the kids were famous for being strange too. A few of us were accepted as eccentrics and given special treatment, in a similar way to the History Boys.
I remember, in sixth form, a new teacher came to the school and ordered me to leave a lesson because I made a joke at her expense during an art history slide show.
I tried to point out gently that she was making a mistake. But some people just have to learn the hard way ...
Jx
Post a Comment