Friday, 3 November 2006

apocalyptic wallpaper



















Check out the Independent today: they've done it again, with their brave and beautiful front page. What this image doesn't convey is the back page, onto which the painting image wraps.

So I guess you must know by now that this painting, poignantly titled Number 5, 1948, sold yesterday for $140m. Of course it's ludicrous. The owner was David Geffen, which Ms B finds even more ludicrous for some reason - the last thing he needs is $140m! But they say he may be liquidting assets with a view to buying the Los Angeles Times; in recent weeks he has done the unthinkable, and sold a Jasper Johhns, as well as a de Kooning. Clearly it's the Abstract Expressionists Geffen feels he can do without, and I'm not sure if we should take that as a sign of how he plans to run the paper. The columnists should perhaps start reading the small print in their contracts?

Meanwhile, in a bumper month at the NYC auctuon houses, they are expecting the sale in two weeks of an Andy Warhol self-portrait. Oh, to dream.

3 comments:

Political Umpire said...

I'm afraid that as far as modern art's concerned, I'm jurassic:

http://cricketandcivilisation.blogspot.com/2006/10/turner-prize.html

Pants said...

If the LA times columnists cut their contracts up into little pieces, rearranged the pieces, stuck them together and published them as their weekly columns, then they would probably know for sure which way the wind was blowing.

Ms Baroque said...

PU, hello there - & there is a museum I think you'd like... unfortunately, I'm not getting the impression that these paintings really made David Geffen happy either. But save me from the day when I sell something that should have existed to give pleasure.

I guess I just don't get the rich thing.

& that's so pants, I think you may be on to something there! I think this is a characteristic of contracts generally. If not weekly columns.