elegant Claire
Claire McCardell. Not a name I knew, until I saw this dress. Once again, this is courtesy of A Dress A Day. I love this dress with a love that is so pure and true I can't even say what I love about it. I love everything: the line and drape of the shoulders and bust - the wonderful, and not even too girly, bows - oh yes, the blackness of it. And the fabulous heavy crepe.
This dress is so much about the person who was or is going to wear it that I don't even feel like I'm cheating showing a dress that isn't on a person. But, to assuage the need for a person, I am showing a picture of Claire herself, who was undoubtedly very elegant indeed. This comes from this website, where you can find out more. Isn't she marvellous?
Claire McCardell turns out to have been an American fashion designer, born in 1905, who studied at what later became Parsons School of Design, becoming interested in the "relationship between" fashion and comfort. I've seen some incredibly chic things by her (I admit, in the last ten minutes, but I am interested) with amazingly hidden pockets - though she was apparently also known for her large, topstitched pockets. Come on - in an American dress of the fifties this is practically like Women's Lib.

After she died (of cancer) in 1958, her husband donated this amazing red dress to the Metropolitan Museum's fashion collection in her memory. Now, look at that colour. Look at how the sections cross over on the top. Look at the pleats! This was designed in 1950. I can really imagine it on a person, with fifties hair and lipstick and shoes - isn't it a treat? But then again, tell me it would look out of place right now.





1 comment:
Frocking classy post, Ms B.
Post a Comment