Saturday, 4 November 2006

not very brooding

Baroque in Hackney doesn't usually publicise, or even directly refer to, anything so prosaic as events - unless there is some issue to discuss, or Ms B is bursting with gossip, of course (and even then there's the painful necessity to be relatively discreet). But in this case we will make an exception, because the event features ME.

Life Lines: Six Poets for Oxfam

Winter reading, November 28 at 7.30pm


Oxfam Bookshop
91 Marylebone High Street
London, W1

Hosted by Todd Swift, Oxfam Poet in Residence
Admission free, suggested donation £6
Please contact the manager Martin Penny to reserve seats
Telephone: 020 7487 3570
email: oxfammarylebone@hotmail.com


The readers are:
Ros Barber (new collection from Anvil due out 2007);

Katy Evans-Bush (widely-published poet featured in The Like Of It, Baring & Rogerson, 2005);

Ruth Fainlight (winner of the Hawthornden and Cholmondeley Awards; author of Moon Wheels, Bloodaxe, 2006);

Tobias Hill (novelist and poet, author of The Cryptographer, Faber, and Nocturne In Chrome & Sunset Yellow, Salt);

Michael Rosen (broadcaster and lecturer; Selected Poems forthcoming from Penguin, February 2007);

Eva Salzman (author of Double Crossing: New & Selected Poems, Bloodaxe).


It's my first reading in months, and it is a little nerve-wracking thinking about standing up in front of a room looking the way I feel I do at the moment. And I've just seen Tobias Hill's publicity picture, & I'm afraid I'll never be able to look anything like so appropriately brooding! One can only try and make up for it with fake pearls and lipstick (and, I suppose, poems).

No comments: