Friday round-up, I mean Roundhouse: just keep thinking about the Dresden Dolls

Work. No, that's an order.
Ms Baroque has been editing as hard as she can for ten hours a day, and the tide of documents is rising. There's no food in the house; lunch is thus costing £6 a day, to say nothing of the crucial morning coffee, to say less of the disgusting sushi-&-cheeseburger-fest in Victoria Station the other night after a (yay!) drink after work with the new pals.
On the plus side I did get the TV working again. By the time I came in and got something to eat (bowl of spinach and broad beans, with some bacon which wasn't off; a roll, taken from the freezer and put into the toaster oven; quite a large amount of Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream) it was well past 9, and I was just, starkly, unable to:
- answer emails,
- type out the poem I'm working on, which exists only in one incomplete hard copy and has been untouched for days
- do anything else involving a screen
- speak to anyone
- make the bed that needs making for me to sleep in.
- cut my finger badly on a brand-new and very sharp kitchen knife, trying to make carrot sticks out of a carrot from Morrisons that has absolutely no flavour left in it anyway
- ring Telewest and, as I say, get the picture back on the TV - it was something to do with the SCART leads...
- watch three episodes of EastEnders
- take Jon Stallworthy's biography of Louis MacNeice off the shelf - being in possession of a brand-new commission to write about it for a special MacNeice edition of the Contemporary Poetry Review - and look at it vaguely for about three minutes whilst thinking of all the other research I need to do
- sleep on the couch for the third night in a row
(The other thing that did the same thing to me this week was when a New Work Pal, asking all those questions, says, "and do you have a new partner?" I go, "No-oo...." and she says: "OH! Why not?? I thought you would, you're so sweet!" Well, tell me about it. I know it's not me that's not sweet.)
The other day I stumbled across this bizarre and amusing thing: Baroque in Hackney automatically-translated into French (or something very like French), which it alarms me that someone might read. My favourite part was the rendering of my friend Jen Pepper's name to "Poivre de Jen". I will try and type out the insanely long URL soon, to make a link. Mean time:
"Deux jours dans être arrières au travail, donc, et se sentir comme je « n'ai fait rien » - la signification ce qu'exactement, je ne sais pas, sauf que moi ont des piles de factures et de papiers et doivent aller voient la banque au sujet de quelque chose mais ont été trop fatigués pour courir autour en mon heure de déjeuner, et n'ont pas toujours une bonne liste de magasins pour envoyer des poésies au loin à, qui a besoin faire mal - pendant deux jours dedans, comme parole, j'ai presque édité un document entier ; J'ai eu quelques grandes grosses idées dynamiques et ai commencé à les vendre autour de l'organisation ; J'ai écrit un bon début sur un amusement (oui !) la nouvelle poésie, que je pense sortirai tout à fait ambitieux mais tombe mon stylo ; J'ai finalement trouvé ma citation de Primo Levi (j'ai dû acheter le livre, encore, et étrangement il n'était pas facile de trouver) et le mettre dans l'article, que je peux finalement envoyer outre de la finale édite au rédacteur ; J'ai lu ce grand article, concernant une force de police au Mexique tournant la marée sur le crime en enseignant leurs dirigeants à lire ; et celui-ci, qui me confirme dans ma haine de Starbucks ; J'ai été dans l'encore un autre de ces arguments au sujet des ventes de poésie contre « quels lecteurs veulent » etc. ; J'ai lu un certain Auden (ce lecteur veut Auden) ; J'ai lu une pile des poésies qu'un ami m'a envoyé ; J'ai texted Dieu de roche de 15 ans en France (aucune réponse ; il est de retour samedi nuit), et suivi les autres à la maison de leur père ; et j'ai été pour après-travaille la boisson (mon premier verre de vin en 10 jours !) dans la barre d'hôtel de chardon à la station de Victoria, qui est un endroit de fab à se réunir pour des boissons, réellement. Vous obtenez ce grand sentiment démodé d'hôtel, qui est toujours un tonique ; Je pourrais avoir été Mlle Marple, s'asseyant là. La fois prochaine je prendrai le tricotage..."
In other news, six phone calls in, I know the name of my eye consultant's secretary (Bernadette) and may be closer to getting a) a new prescription for the Poison Eye Drops, in case of emergency, and b) an appointment for the laser thing I missed when I had flu (which seems delightful, in comparison, in retrospect). They are making ominous noises about me having to go back in to the clinic again first, which I wish they wouldn't. They seem to have no idea how much it upsets me every time and just sets me back all over again.
* note from future: gall stones.
HOWEVER! In a major coup and thanks to my charming and kind friend Sarah, I had better go get dressed, and make it good: because this is where I'm going tonight.
And now I must stop typing before I get blood on this keyboard.





8 comments:
But at least you haven't lost your sense of humour
No, no, never that! Some weeks it feels like all that's left.
And the Dresden Dolls gig was about the MOST FUN I have had in MONTHS, though! I strongly recommend fun.
Very behind the times, but then I've only just found your blog via Dave Hill... Weren't the Dresden Dolls great at the Roundhouse? I really enjoyed their cover of 'Mein Liebe Herr'. Good stuff.
Morrisons is rubbish. I had a bed experience with their tomatoes but two days back. Vine ripened? A likely story.
Nick, hello! Oh, you're not so very behind. Yes, the Dresden Dolls were FAB, it was the most best fun I have had in AGES. Thanks for reminding me about "Mein Liebe Herr" - I regret to say I'd forgotten that bit! By the time it came along my friend and I were a bit, well... let's just say we were spilling a few drops of the Roundhouse's "Good Red" wine. And didn't you love the accordion guy?
You are right. Morrisons is shite, & I hope you mean you had a bad experience with their tomatoes. I think we can say "warehouse reddened" and even that is only half the story (because they aren't very red, are they).
Somewhere in the archives I have another post about Somerfields, in which I slipped on a loose pea pod and mashed my knee up.
I've forgotten the accordion guy in turn. I must admit I was a little glassy-eyed when I arrived, thanks to an afternoon commitment. I'm sure 'good red' is being slightly too kind!
Well, the tomatoes were looking at me with a come-hither glint in their pips, I opened the Merlot and one thing led to another... Erm... These had a translucent skin and seemed a little too firm. Yuck.
(Reading that back, I should probably state clearly that I ate them in a curry. I definitely didn't do anything sordid with them. Honestly.)
Could Fresh and Wild's over-inflated prices be down to a more rigorous health and safety policy than the one put in place by Morriseys and Somerfields?
It can't possibly be
that rigorous.
And I like the Freudian slip for Morrissey. He's almost as depressing as Morrisons, isn't he!
LOL!
A favourite game in my house is coming up with Morrissons/Smiths song titles and lyrics. 'There is a till that will never check out', that sort of thing. What wags we are.
Morrissey doesn't give me quite the sense of existential despair that my local shit food emporium does, I have to say.
Ah, well a friend of mine wrote them a letter some time ago, which began, "Dear Stale and Tame..."
Anyway, in the new year they are to be Rebranded, and will henceforth bear the much more anodyne title of "Whole Foods." Now THAT'S catchy!
Oh, and their coffee. Once it was so bad I had to throw it in a skip.
Post a Comment