Wednesday, 28 March 2007

elegantly dressed & nuclear


















Ms Baroque is more surprised than anyone else could be to see at least two of these people turning up on an Elegantly Dressed Wednesday post! However, the third one is Jack Lemmon. And don't they all, in any case, look marvellous?*

So they should: they are saving the world. They are the characters in the 1979 movie The China Syndrome, which was weirdly released a few days before the almost-meltdown at Three Mile Island - an event that has been almost forgotten over the years, no doubt to the delight of the authorities in New Jersey and beyond, and which happened on this very day, March 28th. But although we can look back and smile, we should not forget that fr several days it was touch-&-go in the tri-state area. And rumours ** had it that the whole northeastern seaboard was radioactive anyway, afterwards.

Steerforth, over at The Age of Uncertainty, has reminded me of all this with a very timely post. It seems our commitment to nuclear power is likely to be quietly stepped up, and just at this inconvenient moment when the public's political engagement has reached nil.

But, you know, even if it sounds a bit last century, it's worth remembering that we are still, for our sins, living in the Age of Aquarius. Fun, wasn't it? Well, it'll be even more fun with this lot in charge.

* My brain kindly spared me for some time from realising who the one on the left was - I just thought he looked vaguely like someone from Fleetwood Mac. But now I realise how unfair that is to the guys from Fleetwood Mac - I love them! And they were far cuter. "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow. Don't stop, it'll soon be here..."

** See? They're the best.

7 comments:

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Thank you! I only dropped in for a look before I went to bed and now I've got that bloody song stuck in my head...

Adrian said...

I never got Rumours, I'm afraid, but think Tusk is a work of genius. Does that make me weird?

Anonymous said...

Hmm..Have only just stumbled across your blog, but gosh, are you sexy.

In fact, elegantly dressed and nuclear, I would say. I shall drop in again.

I haven't read the post yet, but if it is about Fleetwood Mac, Tango in the Night, their comeback album [one of many] got me through many a long dark night of the soul in that hole of a town, Nukebury..

Do not, I repeat, do not EVER EVER find yourself working in that town.

Big Chip Dale said...

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius...
The age of Aquarius.
Aquarius!
Aquaaaariiiiuuuuuus!

Oh, yeah! Wasn't Hair just a great musical? I'm like M&M. Just hip to that song. I'm naked and I'm singing!

Richard Epstein said...

Not Jane Fonda at her very best dressed:

http://barbarella.mon-oueb.com/barbarella-01/barbarella-14.phtml

Ms Baroque said...

M&M, well it's not as if I didn't give you something else to hum at the end! (Sorry - still, it is a cheerful song)

Adrian, weird? Maybe.

Anonymous, why thank you! Do feel free to stop by again, and in the mean time I shall endeavour to avoid Nukebury.

Chippy, baby, if you're happy I'm happy. Let the sun shine, y'know what I mean? (But aren't you going to stage a nude protest outside Sellafield?)

RHE, I think that was what I was talking about when I mentioned my surprise at finding her on my EDW! Still, chacun a son gout.

Steerforth said...

I'd rather jack, than Fleetwood Mac.

(Anyone remember that song?)