it's no joke
Boys and girls, this is no joke. I'm lightheaded. I'm dizzy. I can't remember what I was doing. I have to keep lying down. And I look like hell.
These items may seem not so incommensurate with "being sick," but there are other variables in the case which are not - with any luck, unlike the "sick" one - going to go away very soon. I have not managed to consume more than about 1,200 calories on any day since last Friday week. A "healthy" diet for women consists of approx. 2,000 calories and 70g of fat per day, and I tot up today's fat intake at maybe10g. That's 600 calories missing right there, even before the wine I didn't drink.
Now, I know Ms B has a pound or two to spare, and I have long been thinking in an idle way, while pouring another one - while asking the waiter for the chili oil - while throwing some wine into the spaghetti sauce - of trying to lose some weight. Indeed I have wondered why I didn't seem able to, and have felt something was wrong with my system, as even that detox diet last autumn made no impact. Well, now I've cracked it: just don't eat! For days and days! Till it hurts! A friend refers to this syndrome as the body having its own deep-freeze it can go to when it gets the munchies. That's yuck. Ms B has a thing about not being hungry, and about being able to concentrate and remember things that were said to her five minutes before by her progeny and others.
Ms B has Important Things to Do, and I guess the fact that these things are beginning to make themselves felt is probably a sign of recovery. It's no longer enough just to sleep away the afternoon. A longer sleep is no more the hallmark of a better day. Today I couldn't stand to watch the old movies with Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift and Eva-Marie Saint; maybe tomorrow I can start really using my brain. Today I did some poetry admin, and I called the Evil Virgin Media Empire to complain about their stupid poxy broken remote. I even went downstairs this afternoon to sort out the recycling boxes. (When I got back up to the flat I was completely winded. I was also winded after putting the groceries* away, which they are not, quite, completely, yet.) But can I do all these exciting things if I'm feeling dizzy and lightheaded?
Being sick - it's no joke, Dave Hill! You really have to be feeling pretty fit to be able to cope.**
* tins of beans, fresh vegetables, crab sticks. Bread. For flavouring, chili sauce, teriyaki sauce, lemons, sushi ginger. Erm - that's it. The tins feel really heavy.
** to be said in a Homer Simpson voice: "Chocolate...!!"





4 comments:
No, it's not a joke. It's thumbs down, really. Life, eh? You gotta laff!
Glad to hear you are recovering. Your writing has great energy even if you don't.
You're already seeing the funny side Ms B - you cannot disguise that.
Dear TSP, I was seeing the funny side even back when I was yellow. You're right, though - RTS says so too - you gotta laugh. I mean laff.
Ta, RTS, for the energy remark. I was planning to go out today for my very exciting First Outing - I need salt, I want tuna (how do you run out of tuna??? Usually there are about 3,942,716 tins in there to fall on me whenever I open the cupboard), and I was fantasising about a coffee - but I had a bath first, and then had to have a sleep.
When I woke up I got up and felt dizzy. Then I realised that I had to lie down. I am now lying down.
I'm even back in the shawl. No brain today. But I did watch a DVD of Transamerica. Brilliant.
Ms Barogue! Wake up and pay attention! (sorry to shout but, you can't go on like this, o, no)
Please eat what you are eating, but MORE of it, in order to keep up the calories! Which milk are you allowed? Take some. Now.
Post a Comment