Saturday, 3 March 2007

the moon!

















Tonight as it was getting dark I went out on my little balcony to look at the sky. This is one of my chief pleasures in Baroque Mansions and does, as the Urban Warrior predicted, make up for not choosing the flat that had built-in cupboards in it.

This evening the clouds were huge and very pink over Ally Pally, and lights shone unusually golden in many windows - a fitting end to a day which had been a presage of much-needed spring.

And look! Look at the moon over the flats. I've never seen it look like that before. I'm sorry it is a crap picture - in reality the moon looked much bigger and more discus-like than in this - but it was slipping so fast behind that building that by the time I had a chance to take more, it had half vanished. And the pictures have suffered a bit from being taken while I was leaning out as far as I could, holding my camera three storeys over the pavement.

Tonight there's a full eclipse which will be visible from all over Europe and beyond. It started to darken five minutes ago as I write this, and the full eclipse will be at about 10.45pm.

5 comments:

The Moon Topples said...

Beautiful. We have no eclipse here, and no sign of spring either. I'm quite jealous.

Ms Baroque said...

You'll get there. And you'll have a ten-times-better summer than us. I'm hoping to get a picture of the eclipse, but I'm not that much of a photographer.

The Moon Topples said...

Well, I'd love to see it, whatever you get. You may have noticed an affinity for that cute little orb on my part.

Unknown said...

T'is only marvelous - we have been out our back garden annoying the neighbours and enjoying it!

Clear skies in Ireland are being amazingly obliging tonight.

Ms Baroque said...

Cailleach, likewise here in London - I couldn't believe it when there was no cloud!

Maht, I think you'll find your gratification in the post above this one. Sorry you couldn't see this one yourself, but glad to be of service etc...