twang my thog
Okay, I have a little confession to make. This is a blogging confession - as you know, bloggers are honour-bound to blog about blogging sometimes - it's in the Blogger's Code, and I like to nod in the direction of the guidelines sometimes, just to be on the safe side.
(Sometime I'll tell you about the little thing I have for Geoffrey Rush.)
Well, the thing I did is, I acted like a 2nd-grader in the playground. The other day I discovered - so late in life, and I don't even remember how - Chip Dale's wonderful Diary, and I read his post all about how he had been nominated as a "thogger" - that is, a thinking blogger, a blogger who makes someone think. He had, as it's a meme, nominated five more bloggers, ones who make him think. But by the time I got to the end of his post* and into the comments box** I was so gutted that I wasn't one of Chip Dale's fave bloggers of all, and why should I be? you ask. Not everyone can be stalking the halls of Baroque Mansions all the time (capacious dwelling though it is), and even 15 minutes earlier I had never heard of Chip Dale himself! - As I say, I was so overcome with the ignominy of my position of being unthogged by Chippy of the Dales that I left him a comment saying it was all so unfair and too late for happiness and how I wished he could have nominated meeee.
And guess what happened next. He did.
I'm 5b on his list. I love Chip Dale.
But it just feels so cheap! Did I really make him think? Or did I just make him point, and laugh?
Be that as it may, I am honoured as well as chuffed, and will assume I made Chippy think. Maybe, as he says below, it is best not to ask about what. And now, tagged as I am, I am going to nominate five bloggers who make me think. Or maybe 2 and a half.
1. No, it's no good. Everything makes me think. Let me think about this.
* (as the actress said to the bishop.) ...part of which reads as follows:
"Anyway, the reason I’m working so late" (writes Chippy) "is that I’ve been nominated for a Thogger.
You might want to read that again.
When I got the call, I mistakenly thought it was a ‘Thonger’, which, as you probably know, is the highest accolade in world stripping. No UK stripper has yet won a Thonger, let along a chap from Wales. I thought my life was about to change for the better and I’d become the world ambassador to the world’s exhibitionists, gyrators, lap dancers, and thonglateers. You can imagine my disappointment when Gabby pointed out that it said Thogger, not Thonger.
That’s the problem with these Romanians. They’re so perceptive.
After I’d finished crying, I reread the citation and discovered that Trixy considers that I’m a blogger who makes her think. Think about what, you probably wonder? Well I think it’s probably not a good idea to ask. I try my best, of course, but I never seem to become anything more than a man in thong. I sometimes wonder if an education will come to nothing unless I mention my private parts every hundred words. If I gave you a choice between lots of observations about my wang or something insightful about Auden, I suspect the wang would win every time. Which is typical of the British mentality. I’m also sure Auden wrote a poem about it as he had a similar problem."
** (as the actress said to the bishop)





11 comments:
What a load of nonsense. Of course you make me think. I’ve been dropping by and reading your work you wrote before I was even nominated for the thogger. So, retrospectively, you had me thinking. Only, I did the thinking a bit later, if you see what I mean.
Hang, on I need to think about this…
Look, the fact that we broke the normal timeline of such things proves that we're a cut above the average. And what other way of proving out Britishness than by taking this American meme and exposing it to our national eccentricity?
So I say don't worry. Thong on.
Sweetie, you are a star. I knew I was right about you.
Gutted! I was just going to nominate you too. You made me think too long though. Now I've got to think of someone else...
You see I knew you'd be tagged so many times ....
And I thought you should know the Englishman's still hanging around the flowerbed outside the Umpire's Pavilion, composing sonnets to Ms B. He seems to have enough for a book now. His latest includes the line: "most elegant Highness, trans-Atlantically accented Goddess of Londinium, your most regal Majesty, High Priestess of Poetic Wonderment and utmost provoker of baffled lust"
and I think we might just have the new poet laureate
If he's to be the anything laureate I think he'd best pick himself up and dust off a bit.
I did think the dear boy'd gone a bit quiet lately... & wait till I've been on this no-fat diet a few weeks! Those sonnets will have to shrink to haiku.
Well, anyway, P-Ump, I wasn't really trying to get tagged just to be tagged... & very sweet of you to be so sure I would be! I must try to think of someone else to tag, really. I'm letting down my duties. You tagged P-Eng and Ms M. Who's tagged Dave? Loads, I bet. I'll tag the Tart of Fiction, Madame Arcati, Flat Out Norwich, Ms Pants, and - and - Matt, On Grub Street.
> I'll tag the Tart of Fiction, Madame Arcati...
Madame Arcati? Is this a joke? What next, Perez Hilton?
Madame Arcati's blog is one of the nastiest places I have ever seen on the net. Superficial, narrow-minded, spiteful, often slanderous... and utterly unreliable, because the blogger (and most of her/his so-called 'unimpeachable' sources) remain utterly anonymous.
Such sites are a public nuisance. You should be ashamed to have any link to that kind of rumor monger and poison pen letter writer!
I love your high standard literary blog. Don't compromise your reputation with the likes of Madame Arcati, please.
Dana,
Yes, well of course it was a joke, but in a nice way I hope. I do realise Mme A is anonymous, superficial, often slanderous, and ultimately unreliable - this last is the way of anonymous phenomena dating back to the ppolitical pamphlets of the 17th century. I guess I thought those elements cancelled themselves out: once you've got slanderous (you left out outrageous) and unreliable, you're clearly not looking at it in the same way as, say, Andrew Sullivan. It becomes about itself. It's a construct.
I've certainly seen a lot worse on the web. I've seen racist, neofascist, hate blogs.
As to the "thinking" bit, there's thinking and then there's thinking! To be brutaly frank I have seen nothing on the blogosphere that makes me think in the same way as, say, Joseph Brodsky's lectures. When you come right down to it, we're talking about a "thogger" award. In the blogs I've tagged there is plenty to think about, even if you're disagreeing with someone or just thinking "Damn! Why didn't I think of that!"
Nasty, narrowminded and spiteful may reflect sides I have not yet seen in Arcati, or maybe like Pollyanna I will never see them.
Thanks very much for loving my blog, though! I do appreciate it.
> I do realise Mme A is anonymous, superficial, often slanderous, and ultimately unreliable - this last is the way of anonymous phenomena dating back to the political pamphlets
of the 17th century.
Ha! If only Arcati's purpose were political, at least her/his blog would have an excuse, and even some kind of a moral justification...
> I've certainly seen a lot worse on the web. I've seen racist, neofascist, hate blogs.
Has the existence of the worst ever been an excuse to accept and support the very bad – though hidden behind a smokescreen of cultural pretentiousness? Besides, if you read her/him carefully, Madame Arcati would clearly appear to you as a (not so) vicarious homophobe.
> Nasty, narrowminded and spiteful may reflect sides I have not yet seen in Arcati, or maybe like Pollyanna I will never see them.
Obviously you need to change your pink glasses. Just imagine you're the one who is under Arcati's "kindly" scrutiny...
Ah, well, never mind, have another marshmallow :-).
Dana's comments are now being treated as a testimonial on Arcati, I see. But why are the words credited to a "famous violinist"? Is this a coded sexual joke or soemthing?
Hell no! It's just the proof of what I said above: Arcati's sources all lie in her vivid, paranoïd imagination.
I really wish I were a violonist. Unfortunately, I'm just a keyboarder (a keyboard typist, I mean), and not a gifted one at that. I'm immensely grateful to Arcati for quoting me on her blog alongside Mr Fallowell and Ms Burchill. But I'm afraid we've all got to forget about that romantic "famous violinist"...
Months later I return to the scene of the crime, lured by a continuing excessive number of Google hits! So exciting! And almost the most content-free post I've ever written, too (with all due respect to my 'thongla-hero', Chippy). My comment on Arcati, above, is also being used as testimonial on the great seer's sidebar.
As to the marshmallow: thanks, I will! They are fat-free and consequently one of the few foodstuffs that are currently on my list. Once the baroque gall bladder is out, it'll be cheesecake at dawn.
Post a Comment