Wednesday, 11 April 2007

ouch!

Some birthday candle!

As some readers will be aware, blogs are officially ten years old. Not this one. And not, necessarily, any blog in particular. But blogs as a phenomenon have been here in one form or another for a decade. The Guardian news blog has a little piece by a Bobbie Johnson (who he? Ed.) celebrating that milestone and highlighting some of the blogs which have made blog history: blistory.

But wait! The thing that sticks in this little blogger's memory after finishing this post is the bit that says The Bloggies - the best-known international blog awards - reward "people everybody has heard of for writing nobody remembers."

Yeah - like we all remember every leader we've ever read? And as for some of the regular columnists..!

Seriously, folks. I once read a news article in the Telegraph - I read it online, and alas, now I can't remember what it was even about. The writing itself was so bad, in so many ways, that I was driven to leave a comment saying it gave newspaper journalism a bad name. I know it wasn't the Guardian. But even in the Graun one does occasionally come across a column, meant to be entertaining, which is so lame that one is actually embarrassed, alone in one's own kitchen.

edited in: the same Guardian blogger has a new post, gleefully announcing that they are shortlisted for three Webby awards! Clearly nothing like the Bloggies then.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

As far as i know -- and i tend to know more than most people -- blogs predate 1994.