important things
It's not like I don't even think about these things. I hope the spirit of them infuses my writing on the subjects I do write about. The things I haven't written about include:
the murder of Anna Politskaya
the verdict on the death of Terry Lloyd
the death sentence of Saddam Hussain
the mid-term elections (except for a funny picture of GWB with Bambi jokes)
what I think about Guy Fawkes night (especially in light of all the above)
global warming
Israel and Palestine
and the death of David Grossman's son
Madonna and that baby (let's not even go there)
America's Next Top Model and what I think of it (it is an issue in Baroque Mansions, & sends me apoplectic every time, though on the plus side those girls are at least off their butts and doing something)
To be honest, though, in the past few weeks I think I have seen the news once (Wednesday). I forgot even to get the Saturday Guardian last week (& have not yet read yesterday's). I saw one episode of The Amazing Mrs Pritchard, and have seen one recent episoide of The X Factor (I'm for Ray), & that's it: I've even missed over a week of EastEnders. I'm not interested in celebrity news & find the whole McCartney divorce scandal dispiriting. But Jude & Sienna? Brad, Angelina, Jennifer, Nicole, Jade, and the whole boring lot of 'em? At the moment I have no idea how all our cultural indicators are fitting together. I never even make it to the movies.
On the plus side, I bought a cardigan (wool! the season has officially changed) (and it has spangles) and even started (horror) the Christmas shopping (it took a cappuccino from Carluccio's to get me started, and that was at 4pm). I put away Mount Everest of clean washing yesterday (and have only Killimanjaro to go). I had a delightful, relaxing interlude in the hairdresser's having my ever-troublesome roots done, a much-needed cut, and a fun chat with the girls in there. I've also discovered that the cheap house wines from the French wine shop Nicolas, in Upper Street, not only look delightful (with their handwritten labels and clear glass bottles) - they also taste delightful at about a pound less than what 'delightful' costs in Morrisons.
Today I've got poetry to work on, work I brought home (yes: a whole report to edit, & I don't mean a quick proof), the groceries, Mt Kilimanjaro of washing, and maybe if I get it right I can do some ironing in front of the EastEnders omnibus. It's a lovely day out, too. We'll just forget that.





4 comments:
Well, the newspapers don't tell you anything anyway. I deliberately didn't bother with papers while I was away but caught sight of the news of Saddam Hussain over someone's shoulder in a Spanish paper. So when I got on the plane back I picked up two free English papers expecting to read loads of stuff about it. I had to search and search, and in the end found a tiny little bit buried deep in one of them...
Elizabeth! You're back!
Hey ms baroque, I am not one for celebrity gossip either, I honestly could not care less about these people. On subject of Heather Mills, she is not someone I find particularly appealing, but the ubiquitous jokes about her leg are loathesome. Lordy, I too have a Ben Nevis of laundry, a mound of quilt covers that never quite diminishes. You are quite right to have a new spangled sweater, I love autumn & winter fashion, polo necks are my addiction!
Celebrities are meant to be dispiriting. That's the whole point of them. They are paid a huge amount of money to remind you of how not to be. They are like the Trinny and Susannah of behaviour.
Post a Comment