Monday, 22 January 2007

24-hour torture people

no picture here. I tried to find a pic of Jack Bauer, but they are all sanitised, glossy, pretty ones - in none of them is his chin dripping with blood. Yeah, vampire, hilarious

Another lazy post. Well, I'm lazy but the First Post isn't. Check out their article marking the return of Jack Bauer to our screens:

"On the 5th anniversary of the establishment of the detention centres at Guantanamo Bay, arguments about torture should not be restricted to whether 'we' have the right to torture 'them'. The decision of whether or not to torture is a decision about who we are and what we represent.

The US military recognised this in WWII when they rejected the use of torture against the Nazis. Now, in the new era of permanent war, societies that claim to be civilised and democratic should not be seduced by the hypothetical urgency of the 'ticking bomb' into enshrining torture as a permanent principle.

If they do, they merely give succour to their enemies and contribute further to the barbaric politics of the new century."

Ms B tried and pretty much failed to watch last night's episode, which doesn't augur so well for the rest of the series. Am I the only one who just thinks it's just plain wrong to watch someone killing someone by biting through their neck, in graphic detail??? 24 trades endlessly on the "but they're so evil" principle. I know it's hard-hitting political satire, moralistic there-but-for-the-grace-of-God, the-end-of-the-worrrruld-is-coming stuff, but it seems apparent that the compromises are taking place also within the viewer, who is encouraged all along to think - even while he derides the evil White house staff - "it's okay when Jack does it, because we LIKE Jack."

4 comments:

Pants said...

I'm amazed he found time between phone calls on his 'cell' - perhaps this new series signals a shift in priorities

Miss Hacksaw said...

I had to hide behind a cushion for that scene. Which did not stop stop me having Lost Boys flashbacks for the entire evening. Very, very wrong.

kris said...

PC Bitseach watches gory stuff, after 10 pm, all the time.

I say, can't we just watch Seinfeld or Kath & Kim?

Adrian said...

I preferred his changes of uniform - from Robinson Crusoe who has not spoken for 2 years, to Top Shop (or was it the Gap?) to then something that can only be described as Renegade Redneck Chic. 3 clothes changes and a full shave and its only 9 in the morning. I'm in awe of the man! Its not his vampiric tendencies that confused me, (strong teeth after a yr in Chinese prison, gimme those rice noodles), but that the torture on him - something about his nerve centre in the shoulder - seems to have miraculously healed. Where's a neuroscientist when you need one? I read that 24 is being criticised for being right wing. Last season had a venal, corrupt, incompetent president willing to kill to keep his job. Where DO they get these ideas from? Though I do feel the even more absurd "The State Within" may have taken its best plot points.