chain of fools
Okay, this has all gone too far. It seems that Baroque Mansions is at the epicentre of a 120-outlet Star*ucks galaxy. It's too annoying.
According to Oliver Burkeman in today's Guardian, the chain plans to open one outlet in the UK every fortnight for the next ten years - gazumping honest coffee shop owners and far better chains up and down every high street in the land.This is bad news. It's bad news for business in theUK, it's bad news for customers, and it's very bad news for coffee.
You can keep track of how your local expansion programme is going via this handy link, which allows you to track your "Starbucks density" (Burkeman's phrase, I believe; delicious, isn't it).
I'm putting this in my things to make and do column to the right. I can see it providing hours of innocent party-game-type entertainment on some rainy night. But the feckers don't even deliver.





7 comments:
This is the Invasion Star*uckers. This is the future. Somebody pinch me.
Hello Ms Baroque. I find that depressing. I did actually follow your link and then went from The Guardian to the Starbucks homepage (via a slight technical glitch).
I looked for a Starbucks within a fifty mile radius of my nearest town - zilch. Maybe they just haven't set up shop in Ireland yet? It does seem, however, that I will have to wait a while longer before I'm able to enjoy an "urban coffee experience". Or, as earthlings might call it, a cup of coffee.
I find myself - as something of a capitalist and believer in the free-market - becoming increasingly uncomfortable with all of this. The inexorable logic of capitalism, it would appear, is a Starbucks on every corner and a diseased manifestation of corporate greed that simply takes the breath away.
And, if memory serves, the coffee is rubbish - although mighty warming and invigorating on a sharp December morning. Twice. Okay, more than that, maybe - but never again. Much.
At least the temptation is no longer before me. Move to Ireland, Ms Baroque.
Kind regards etc
I seem to recall that Ms Baroque has already declared her intentions towards your lovely bathroom in Ireland, Mr PE. Does this invite confirm the engagement?
Are you a fan of Scrubs (TV series)? If not, you should be. Either way, they share your fears:
http://scrubs.mopnt.com/scripts/603.php
Dear Ms Baroque, I haven't been here before but I was very pleased to see the Starbucks post as my first foray.
I once asked a Qantas flight attendant which was better, the coffe or the tea and he replied: "Princess (I liked that, I think), neither, they're both all-purpose-brown-liquid". I think this a a pretty good description of Starbucks beverages. I certainly don't think they have ever had a relationship with a coffeebean.
Mount a campaign! Man the barricades! (I'll join you when I'm back in Blighty.)
RTS - no pinching, please!
P-Eng, I might yet do that. If and when it happens, it will not be a surprise. (In the meantime, be assured that what you're missing isa not "a cup of coffee"!
Monkeymother, how delightful to see you here! So glad you enjoyed. (I'm sure there must be a Starbucks.fr page where you could measure your personal "density" etc.)
Hmm, Ms M and P-Ump, m,y apologies! Your two very apt comments both got lost in the limbo of "comments moderation" with no email to tell me they were there... Usually the great thing aobut comment moderation is that you DO see all the comments!
P-Ump, ta for the Scrubs episode. I did love Scrubs before I had cable, now there's just too much of it - but it is ace, of course.
Ms M, I should jolly well hope so. But the Englishman has been a little scarce lately...
Post a Comment