those were the days, my friend

you'd never fool him now
I guess we're still in the aftermath of Christmas. Families are still doing things together (I saw Miss Potter with my friend and her kids yesterday) and, well, just thinking about each other in a slightly different way. Dave Hill (the only person I know who can casually refer to "my sixthborn" - and I come from a big family) went to see Happy Feet with his three youngest kids, and, via the agency of the Beach Boys, had a whole train of thought which Ms B has had many times in the past, too.
Our generation is not as previous ones. Our kids are listening (and believe me, I have resented it! Try sitting there reading the paper while your own kid co-opts "Tainted Love" right out from under you) to our music. They no longer feel the need to rebel by rejecting everything we once held dear. Our music is directly where today's pop came from - there would be no possible credibility to be gained by rejecting, say, Sister Sledge or Sly Stone. So they steal our vinyl and our mojo with it.
In the case of my middle-born, the Tall Blond Rock God, this syndrome has been taken to an extreme. He plays bass. He loves "vintage rock." He listens to Pink Floyd, okay, and Led Zeppelin by the gigabyte, and Black Sabbath and Aerosmith and tons of others. Well - all the others. I started it. I gave him The Wall for Christmas when he was 11. (And now he's always late for school! & I ask myself why...?!? Like, du-uh.)
But what cracks me up is the other stuff he comes out with. "Mummy," he'll go. "I've been listening to this band all week, Canned Heat?" Or, "Have you ever heard of somebody called 'Jethro Tull'?" I love to mock him for his dad-rock tastes - and as if to thank me he gave me a double-CD set of Tom Petty for Christmas. (YESSS!)
But there was a time when even my savvy kids were naive little products of nineties pop culture, who knew only what they were told on CBBC.
One day when my eldest, who is now an Urban Warrior and into "stencil art" but at that time was a fresh-faced thing who wanted to be a cartoonist (it might yet happen), was about 10 or 11, I bought something I thought my best friend might get a kick out of. It was a sheet of disco-themed wrapping paper, purple, with a repeating pattern of pictures of disco balls, platform shoes, and the head of Michael "Jackson 5" Jackson.
I showed it to the Future Urban Warrior and said, do you think she'll like it? He appraised it earnestly, but also coolly, and said yes, he thought she'd love it. But he goes, "the only thing I don't get is - who's that guy?"
I tried to be gentle. I said casually, "Oh, you know - that's Michael Jackson, when he was about 13, in the Jackson 5, you know..."
He blanches, he falls back, his mouth drops open. He says to me finally - "y-you mean - is Michael Jackson - black??"
Oh, how we larfed.





3 comments:
Fantastic news! For the first time, essentially in my entire life (I listned to 70s music in the 80s, and only really got into 80s music at the end of the 90s without, of course, abandoning my prog rock tastes) I can say I'm hip and with it and listening to what young people are digging. All I need now is confirmation that they dance as badly as I do. This, however, would seem unlikely.
Your story also struck a chord (tee hee) after something that happened to me just before Xmas. A new colleague of mine is a young lass (aged 23, which is younger than me at least) from South London, of very mixed ethnicity (Maltese, African, English and Indian, with a sprinkling of Afro-Carribean). Making conversation, I asked what sort of music she listened to. "Oh the usual" she replied though I pointed out what was usual to her was probably not so for me. She admitted the same, and gave a list of groups I'm told fall under the rubric 'garage' and 'house' etc (places to _play_ music I thought, but there you go). Anyway I bored her for a while talking about delta Blues, and played her a bit of Robert Johnson from my MP3 player. "Ok that sounds kind of old" she said, though expressed qualified interest and compared my tales of the bluesmen's drinking and self destruction with today's rap artists, though I said they killed each other with a lot more style and artistic expression than simply 'cop killer' rap artists do.
I then wittered on (you'll have noticed this is a habit of mine) about country music and played her some Alison Kraus. Her eyes lit up - 'wow that's really relaxing music, and she's got a great voice' (it is; she has). Next, returning to my rambling account of the blues, I got on to the influence of delta blues on white English rockers of the 60s and 70s. I played her the legendary Cream live version of Crossroads "Wow. That's like, incredible. I could get into that" she said with some verve and no little sincerity.
And the P-Ump purred with the thought that my attempt to take over the world has come that much closer to fruition ...
I can't really complain as I had pillaged my parents' record collection for Josh White, Thelonius Monk, Lambert Hendrix & Ross, Anita O'Day, June Christie, Ahmad Jamal, Errol Garner, Oscar Peterson, George Shearing, Helen Forrest, Julie London, Ernestine Anderson, Mel Torme, Woody Herman, Buddy Rich and hundreds more. I also wore 30s-50s clothes for pretty much the entire 70s. I think it's sort of nice because there isn't that massive taste gap. Jazz people are still pretty snobby about rock even though it's endured for fifty years and shows no signs of waining. I like it that I can enjoy current music.
OMG! Ms B, send those children to Nebraska.
The radio stations there, called "Classic Rock", "Hair" ect play the exact same stuff I listened to about 100 years ago.
I thought all the Journey, Led Zep, Heart and AC/DC was aimed at saddos like me....
Post a Comment