Wednesday, 17 January 2007

elegantly lemmony



















Forget Lemony Snicket. I'm talking Jack Lemmon, half Odd, half girl, the Prisoner of 2nd Avenue two decades before Neil Simon wrote the play (one amazon reviewer writes: "I loved this movie. I didn't find it depressing in the least"), the master of exasperation, the straight guy with a queer eye, the shmuck with an apartment, the man in a narrow tie. THE Lemmon.

Ms Baroque went to a party recently. It was New Year's Eve. Came home a bit the worse for wear having drunk her very genteel weight in cava, and woke the next morning to find these words typed on the computer screen: "A Secret Love Song to Jack Lemmon."

6 comments:

Pants said...

Mmmm. Seriously rat-arsed then.

Ms Baroque said...

Oi.

Erin O'Brien said...

"The Odd Couple" features some of the most brilliant dialogue ever written.

Unless, of course, someone somewhere is taking the time to transcribe everything I say.

Ms Baroque said...

Erin, hello and welcome! A perusal of your delightful blog tells me you must be channelling Jack Lemmon, a feat which has earned you a place in my list of links. Very entertaining. Love your videos - and the dialogue you recorded in your Christmas lawn decoration article is brilliant indeed.

Ms Baroque said...

though the punchline sounds a little more Matthau to me, maybe.

Erin O'Brien said...

Wow. Thanks.

The funny thing about that inflatable lawn ornament column was that I thought it was cute and sweet and appropriate for the holiday. Then I get all these emails blasting me for being "egocentric" and "narcissistic." I have a lot of fun with the column, but the responses never cease to amaze me.