Monday, 26 March 2007

becoming Jane Winslet




















So, Jane Austen isn't pretty enough. Who knew?

A publisher has decided that, sad as it is, ya gotta play the game if you're trying to move books in today's world, that's just how it is baby, and they've photoshopped the great novelist for the cover of her novels. Rouged her up (so she looks like a badly coloured Victorian print); lost what they strangely seem to think was a "nightcap"; and added some pretty little curls running in rivulets down her pretty little neck. She doesn't look at all scary now. She could have any boy she wanted, I bet!










Why, she even looks like Kate Winslet! What a clever job.*

But, I hear you say, it's just one picture, it's just one publisher, who cares. And Miss Austen maybe did look rosy sometimes, after sitting too near the fire. No doubt took her cap off at odd moments, and no doubt wore her curls down on occasion. Things like this have been done in the past, I'm sure.

No, the thing that is so alarming about this is context. We live in the age of movies. We only respect Jane Austen for being a bunch of film adaptations and mini-series. Books are "units" now, and "tie-in" units at that. We can make anything how we want it to be, we live in the image, and somehow it matters that an ordinary-looking girl wrote those books instead of a glamourpuss. It's only a makeover, right? A celebrity makeover?

The heritage industry is thriving in Britain - well, everywhere - more and more, it seems, as pure erstaz. The heritage industry is the reason we can't see The Haywain when we see it. Even standing in front of Constable's paintings last summer I could barely see them, so overlaid were they with decades of sentimentality and complacency. "Heritage" makes it hard to read a Jane Austen novel, and each movie makes it harder still. "Heritage" is the reason people can't read poetry. "Heritage" is a negativity - an absence of thought, or imagination - which mimics entropy and forms a black hole around the great art we grew from.

Interestingly, if you stop to think about it, the great writers of the past were just people. They didn't sit down and say "I'm a great writer, look at me writing a great novel!" Nothing was certain. They sat down trembling in front of a blank page, just like we do now. To be great, to write something that lasts, is a surprise, it's a miracle. Jane Austen has a right, even after death, to that miracle, to remain herself, not to "become Jane". Doesn't she??

Isn't it our job to come to terms with our literature and the people who made it, rather than the other way round? Isn't each work of art something that was forced out of crisis, and shouldn't we remember the crisis as our route to understanding the art?

(Great anecdote, previously unknown in Baroque Mansions, over at Flat Out Norwich: a German soldier sees the giant canvas of Guernica in Picasso's studio, during the occupation, and says to the artist: "Are you responsible for this painting?" "No," Picasso replies. "You are.")

In the wake of the treacly & nostalgic "Miss Potter" film (which I saw, being fair, with some kids, and thought that for the budding misunderstood writer among them it had some great stuff about the creative instinct), and the even more ridiculous "Becoming Jane" (surely she was Jane already?) (and after the marriage refusal she only wrote one more book and it was Mansfield Park; this means she was not only "Jane," she was already "Jane Austen"), it betrays a terribly scary way in which we as a society are thinking about the people and the works that (yes: to some extent; to a great extent) made us. We think we can just go photoshopping for the kind we want.

We, you and I, the thinking public, are right now allowing something (warning: huge long self-indulgent list of adjectives) nasty, anti-intellectual, lowest-common-denominator, dishonest, ersatz, money-spinning, pointless, anti-historical and very stupid to be done to us. And to those we love. Don't we love our writers?

The publisher that's doing this? Wordsworth editions.**

Don't buy them.***

* Look at her eyes. They're incisive and intelligent in the top picture, sleepy and anodyne in the bastardised one. Could Jane Winslet have written Emma?

** Now there was a pretty boy! Maybe he should, though, have looked a little more like, say, Iggy Pop... (news flash: Helen Traynor of Wordsworth editions has this to say: “Virginia Woolf wasn’t much of a looker. I’m also considering making over George Eliot, who was frumpy, and William Wordsworth, who was pretty hideous. Most poets were really unattractive, with the one exception being Tennyson, who has wonderful bone structure.”)















***Anyway, cheap as they are, they're terrible, unreadable, badly printed on worse paper.

13 comments:

Newmania said...

I do not agree that Jane Austen is spoilt by " heritage" as yet . Shakespeare can be but there us room for both "Real" amd sentimental readings .

I wonder if you aren`t being a bit of snob in the both ends against the middle Virginia Woolf way. I `m, not sure.

I don`t think Jane Austen would have been quite as po-faced as you have been about her re touching though do you ?


At least we both love Jane Austen.

Cheerio

Ms Baroque said...

Hi there Newmania, thanks for stopping by.

Well, of course I'm a snob - not sure what you mean about "both ends against the middle" - it is a thing about middlebrow? If so, absolutely, I'm afraid. Sorry: it's the Baroque way.

Don't you think Shakespeare manages to slither out of the heritage thing? We can't even agree who he was! Masterful.

BTW, I've edited in a fabulous quote from the Wordsworth books lady, she has it in for Ginny too. As Led Zeppelin said, "It makes you wonder..."

Anonymous said...

Great - they'll be selling her novels with pink covers and jaunty pictures of shoes next. Not that I have anything against chick lit, of course, but visual shorthand is not known for doing the contents of a book justice.
There's no real need for Playboy-ing Jane Austen up, is there? Do you think anyone who's read her work over the past three centuries gave a cherry-flavoured toss what she looked like?
Sorry, rant over :-)

Rob said...

"And isn't it our job to come to terms with our literature and the people who made it, rather than the other way round?"

That's it in a nutshell. Nice one, Katy.

Big Chip Dale said...

I think they're already selling Austen's novels with pink covers etc. I distinctly remember getting a cold shiver as I accidentally picked one up. (I've read most of her novels and really don't care for them. Too much dilly-dallying.)

As to retouching these pictures: publishers are probably worried that these writers’ ugliness stops people buying their books. After all, you’ve either got to be good looking or a celebrity to get a book deal these days. No doubt they’ll be dragging Jane Austen’s corpse onto Richard and Judy’s sofa next.

And poor George Eliot wouldn’t stand a chance these days, though perhaps she’d have some celebrity because of Henry James' description of her as that 'horse-faced bluestocking'.

The Moon Topples said...

I was just the other day saying that a beautifully-written passage is nothing if the author isn't physically attractive. Maybe I'll have to give this "Austen" a look.

Ms Baroque said...

China blue, I think if they do the pink covers thing (maybe with a nice pair of pink fluffy mules - not Chippy's kind of mule, I mean slippers) they should edit her down, really hard. Her books are full of hard words! Nobody can read that stuff.

Rob, thank you! (BTW I saw a lovely puff of you the other day, from StAnza...)

Chippy, I'm with you on the dilly-dallying. And on the day they drag Austen onto the odious sofa, I hope I'm home sick watching! - As to George Eliot, yes, you can get some celebrity these days for being called names... look at Jade Goody.

Moon, I totally agree. It's a good thing you're adorable, isn't it! (In fact, that's why I read your blog.)

And you know, all this chat has made me wonder what Helen Traynor of Wordsworth editions looks like. She must be some looker - else why did they hire her? Should we write to the CEO suggesting they bundle her in for some remodelling, just in case?

Richard Epstein said...

This approach should make for a boom in Shelley and Byron studies. Handsome blokes, and therefore well worth reading. Pope, though, is in a world of trouble, unless special exception is made for him under the LPWDA*.

RHE
*Little Poets with Disabilities Act

Elizabeth Baines said...

But what happened to Jane's cleavage? Ms Traynor missed a trick there!

Ms Baroque said...

RHE, and think of poor Charles Lamb! I loved reading him long before I knew what he'd looked like.

Hmm, maybe trhat's the answer: suppression.

Elizabeth, that's for damn sure! Someone could certainly take about 6 inches off her neckline & it wouldn't hurt.

Steerforth said...

Yes, heritage is the enemy. Heritage is killing our culture by commodifying the past and distorting the truth. (And I can't stand Gwyneth Paltrow's annoying immitation of Emma Thompson's annoying, nasal north London accent)

I once went to a house in Nottingham that had no books but two Hay Wains (one in the hall, one in the living room).

George Eliot was also described by Henry James as 'magnificently ugly'. Does anyone know if the story about her wedding night (the distraught husband jumping out of the window) is true?

Political Umpire said...

This sort of thing has been causing trouble for some time, and not just in the publishing industry. Think of Anne of Cleves being ‘touched up’ by her portrait painter. Or George Elliot having to pass herself off as a bloke (as, indeed, did J K Rowling somewhat more recently). Latterly the famous photo of Brunel had his cigar airbrushed out, presumably out of fears that a rush of impressionable young schoolchildren might take up smoking cigars on the basis that a C19 engineer used to do it.

On the other hand, perhaps you could take the slightly pessimistic way of being optimistic, and say that at least children are reading something, and if rosy cheeks and better looks all round entice more of the Vicky Pollard generation to read Jane Austen, then it’s all a Good Thing, or at least excusable.

What interests me about Jane Austen’s present-day popularity, particularly in light of the compliment you received for being a snob (I wish my readers were as kind – well, you always are Baroquers), is that these days the class system (any form of class system) is derided and scorned, whereas it is a pervasive feature of Austen’s novels. None of her characters bat an eyelid at it.

Ms Baroque said...

Hi George, so you have! Of course you are right - I do find it very convenient to adopt a position, & for the sake of convenience have not fully investigated the thing we could call the Byron Factor in bookbuying.

And while I also think this peccadillo is a little egregious - I think maybe because, where looks used to be a bonus, they seem to be becoming de rigueur - the comedy factor has kicked in bigtime with the longer quote from the Times, which I've edited in.

I particularly love that all poets "were" ugly!

Thanks for the Ben Jonson, over at your place - he was no looker, certainly, though he did have a rough charm... & "my mountaine belly and my rockie face" has made my day!

As for Al Pacino, certainly he was cute back in the day, but don't you think he looks better now?