Monday, 5 March 2007

economies of scowl

So this is what it takes to cheer me up at the moment.

Oliver Burkeman writes, in Saturday's Guardian:

"Experiments show that only two kinds of people behave like perfect little economists in every arena of life: economists and psychopaths."

Or, as per Keats (like my economist-speak there?):

When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'


4 comments:

Political Umpire said...

Or as a famous economist (John Maynard Keyes) put it - in 100 years' time, we'll all be dead.

Erin O'Brien said...

I am unsure of what this means. I think it means that I'm in trouble again.

erf.

Reading the Signs said...

"Cold Pastoral!" Ms. B.

But perhaps I haven't understood the connection.

Ms Baroque said...

P-Ump, indeed.

Erin and RTS, well, it's a bit elliptical I thnk. But the good news is, I'm not a psychopath!