Thursday, 15 March 2007

the poisoned pincushion speaks

This time it really is me, your faithful correspondent, part of the Hackney blogger extreme fieldwork campaign, typing directly to my readers on the slowest (but miraculous!) WiFi connection in the developed world. (Last time I had a secret assistant, who faithfully used my scribbled words, and to whom I owe great thanks for the fab pic! I'll have those stones, please.)

"We're very pleased with these results," the doctor said yesterday, looking at my charts, "but your blood is still very septic."

Charming!

And indeed, aside from the galling little stones themselves (and the inflamed buts of duct in my liver, and the inflammation of the gall bladder itself, and the urinary infection I also developed), it is the baroque blood which has been causing the most problems. It turns out that my veins are extremely (I can see my mother rolling her eyes here) delicate and skittish. Instead of each cannula lasting me a day, or two, or even three, for my intravenous antibiotics (two kinds), I got through five in four days and that was only thanks to luck and a skillful senior surgeon who had to come to the last one. One in my left arm went infected, and one in my right arm tissued, which means went into the tissue not the vein, which means bruises, hard lumps, hard knocks, lumping it and general unpleasantness. Since I have refused no one who wanted to have a stab at Pin the Cannula on the Yellow Girl, I am now shot through like a pincushion, but the infection is subsiding ("oh, all the antibiotics you're on will take care of that," enthused the surgeon) and I am now in a position to inform you that the antibiotics I'm on are the foulest-tasting things I ever hope to get caught in my throat.

It looks as if the hospital sojourn will last until at least Saturday or - what feels more likely - Monday. Which means it could be Tuesday, I suppose.

And it is a revelation. The chaos! The people! The food! This morning I actually gagged on my tea. You expect NHS food to be no fun but the surprise is that they can't cater for sick people. Come in vomiting bile, having had nothing for two days; when you do get offered something - ticked off their menu - you'll get a choice of curried this, Cajun that, mushroom tart, you get the idea.

I asked for maybe some chicken soup? "There's tomato soup," said the nurse. (Nurse, remember.)

"Tomato! That'll do me in, it's so acidic!" I said.

"Acidic? It's not acidic."

"Of course it is, it's made of tomatoes."

"Tomatoes aren't acidic," said the nurse.

Patiently, for I am nothing if not a patient, I explained. "Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C," I told her, "and vitamin C is ascorbic acid. So tomato soup is acidic: I'm afraid that's just how it is."

She looked at me blankly. In the end it was one scoop of vile hospital mashed potatoes, which made me nauseous so I didn't eat them.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeek! Get well soon. Yellow is no cool person's hue.

Reading the Signs said...

I am relying on you and Ms Pants to keep us fully up to date. After recent disclosures it comes as no surprise to hear that sick people aren't catered for.

When I was there vomiting bile after the wrong antibiotics and a curry, someone wrote "attention-seeking" on my notes.

Hope someone brings you chicken soup.

kris said...

oh for christ's sakes! I really don't know how you're coping in there.

I think right after the tomato soup conversation, I'd be begging her just to put a pillow over my face to end it all.

Seriously, I just don't know how people without family members to attend to them and stand watch survive in hospitals these days.

kris said...

...in fact, your story is right up there with my friend's, let's call him "Alex", who was in the cardiac ward at Kings in Camberwell- where they served him fried fish and chips!

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I do hope you recover very soon, Katy. In the meantime, I'm sure the Rock God can operate a tin opener, stove and thermos flask.

Anonymous said...

Get well soon, despite the nurses. I had the adventure of being The American in an English Hospital years ago. One ward, about 20 beds. Another patient was in for digestive problems. She had lots of company and everyone brought her food=mostly fatty food including pork pies. She would gobble it down after they left. The nurses grumbled greatly as they cleaned up her emesis basins which were used about half ann hour after she ate.

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless. Get better!

Ros Barber said...

Astonishing ignorance from Ms Lets-hope-she-knows-her-onions-because-she-certainly-doesn't-know-her-tomatoes Nursey, there.

It reminds me of the very highly paid consultant who informed me (expert on health that he was) that an-isolation-requiring-level of radiation wasn't dangerous for the person irradiated (this was the "treatment" he was offering me), and that babies do *not* benefit from being breastfed after six months.

Oh Ms. Baroque, *do* get well soon. The level of incompetence in NHS hospitals is so high that staying in one feels positively dangerous. Sadly we poets have no choice, not being able to afford private health insurance.

Come out to safety and sanity soon.

x

Meredith Jones said...

If you're still yellow, perhaps you should get a Marge Simpson hairstyle to complement it? Seriously, get well soon! I can't believe both you & That's So Pants have been in the Homerton lately.

Mr Farty said...

A nurse who doesn't know tomatoes are acidic? Cripes! Ok, I didn't know that either, but you'd expect a health professional to have a clue. That's as bad as the school teacher who said you couldn't light farts.

Get well soon x

Liz said...

Poor Ms Baroque - still imprisoned by your local NHS.

The last time I was in hospital, the food actually tasted OK. It was 'comfort' food; fish and chips followed by chocolate pud at lunch-time, luncheon meat sandwiches followed by ice-cream for tea. All very paletable, but largely lacking in any nutrition, I felt. Fortunately, I had a visitor who brought me in some fresh fruit. I'm surprised people don't come out of hospital suffering from skurvy!

I hope you manage to tunnel out soon - you'll feel tons better at home and I'm sure your teenage children's catering will be a vast improvement on hospital grub.

tea and cake said...

I, too had food brought into me in hospital, and I bring food into my husband.

How can a person get well on the shite they serve up?!

Good chicken soup, with rice in it will pep you up. Hope you are less yellow now. :o) xx

Ms Baroque said...

Nic, tell me about it!

RTS, I have had the chicken soup, today, and it was pure heaven. Yes, I had people actually rolling their eyes, or giving me filthy looks, if I asked - weakly, politely - for anything. That place. Letters will be written.

Kris, it was very hard work. I had a relapse on getting home, just slept and slept and couldn;t get up for 36 hours - a reaction to how flipping hard you have to work the whole time you're in there! SO glad to be back home. I have repeated your friend's story to several people. Extreme, or pathetically not very?

Francis, the RG has taken refuge at his dad's, where it is hot & cold running roast pork and sausages. But he did ring me very nicely for Mother's Day!

Anonymous, la comedie humaine is what it most certainly is. It's just whether one's nerves are up to it. I haven't even written yet about Vera in the next bed.

Dave, for you - anything! I'm doing me best.

Ros, I know, I know... Actually one night there was a newborn incessantly crying in a private room near my bed, and it went on so long I was convinced I was going to spontaneously lactate.

Susan, your story reminds me only too well of my own week. My relatives - i.e., the ex - was great, but he is a busy man with no time to make fresh chicken soup...the night I got home he did come and put a chicken in the oven, though. And butter's out for now. I made the soup myself (why does it always come to that??) and it was divine.

Meredith, I like to imagine both me and Ms Pants sitting there in our Marge wigs. Thanks for the image!

Mr F, thanks for the laugh! I guess you've proved the teacher wrong, eh.

Liz, I feel for the people who are in there for months. But my issue was that I had been told NO FAT and they were not offering me anything safe to eat! They have no special menu for medical needs! So that, once I did start eating, the pains and nausea began to increase again. Furthermore, after three days of vomiting, to be offered lasagna?

Tea & cake, thanks, I am! Hurrah! The soup - I put in spaghetti letters.