the ultimate happy slap
I'm not reproducing it here. Suffice to say that Ms B did not buy the Guardian today.
The news coming out about this execution indicates that it was shambolic and revengeful. It was carried out on Eid al-Adha, which is supposed to be a festival of charity, when Muslims remember those less fortunate than themselves.
However, rather than behaving in a civilised manner those people present behaved rather as Saddam himself or his henchmen might have behaved, back when he was in power. The video reportedly contains a voice of someone begging the people taunting Saddam to stop, on the grounds that he was facing execution. The trapdoor was dropped while he was still saying his prayers.
The picture which occupies almost the entire front page of today's Guardian - taken, presumably, from the above-mentioned video - was apparently taken on somebody's mobile phone. Happy slappers the world over will be feeling pretty chuffed, not to say validated.
Eid mubarak!





6 comments:
I blogged again about it today. For separate reasons I did not support the death penalty, this sort of nonsense only adds to it. The Guardian is a bit prone to this sort of dodgy journalism.
Well, they'll have Francis Sedgemore to deal with this time.
Thank you for this post. Words failed me, as I have said. But you have articulated everything, and thanks for the link to Francis Sedgemore's piece.
Hi Ms B,
I realise my comment on this post wasn't too articulate, but I am now paranoid that you haven't posted it up because you thought I was having a pop at you. (Oh, the joys of written communication!) I wasn't - my criticism was of the Guardian. Hope you weren't confused.... :o)
Hmmm, a mystery. Ms Melancholy, I've just looked everywhere for a stray comment, but I can't find it! I promise you I didn't not-publish it. Maybe post again.
Glad to clear that up! Just having dig at the Guardian (my normal reading).... you can fill in the gaps yourself!
Post a Comment