Friday, 22 June 2007

modernism in one easy lesson

The modernist critic Guy Davenport, writing to James Laughlin of New Directions (undated):

"Speaking of Columbus, I've explained the colon that begins Paterson* all sorts of ways (Europe: America) until it dawned on my feeble mind that Cristobal Colon is the gentleman's real name. Keeping to the formula pater: son."


*William Carlos' Williams' seminal poem

4 comments:

Quink said...

Very nice indeed.

CoirĂ­ FilĂ­ochta said...

I've just got in baroque, after a night on the razz, so erm..you is the bluddy wo/men yeah...who gives a toss what we write, for you - as lonmg as you dance - is being the wo/men yeah..ms baroque Oh you is the one..what's happening tinight wiv poetry?

Jane Holland said...

You is the bluddy wo/men, Baroque. Yeah. Who cares about the modernist use of a colon when you can jump on the table and give us a quick Charleston?

What do you mean, not in your condition? Dance, dammit, dance. The future of poetry could be at stake here.

Jx

Ms Baroque said...

Quink, glad you like it! I thought I might be the only one.

Desmond I can't tell if you like it or don't like it. You're sort of getting in Ovid Yeats mode...

Jane, we're both witches, anyway, so I guess I can do as I bluddy like!