Monday, 18 June 2007

newsflash: comedy after all

Oh my God! I take it all back! Classic.

Dr Caligula in the home counties. Unattractive Rob so wet he squelches when he walks... Remember? This character started with a massive judgement meltdown when he faked Dawn a credit card in Jane Beale's name... ah, innocent days! Well, it has realised its perfect apogee in this episode!

I loved the fake blood on Dawn's arm getting messier in every scene... May getting more and more wild-eyed as she sings lullabies and prepares the criminal caesarean... I tell you what, after Dawn bashed Rob with the lamp, stabbed May with the illicit scalpel and drove off in the rented car I burst out laughing.

It's that old satisfying feeling: you'd almost think Grant must be around somewhere.

And anyway I'd forgive a lot for that scene with Big Mo in front of the telly with the enormous jar of pickled eggs.

Twenty minutes later, editing in: still laughing. Ah, happiness.

5 comments:

Miss Hacksaw said...

Glorious, wasn't it? A cross between Misery and Dallas, I thought. This is what soaps are all about.

Also, I love the fact that the entire plot makes no sense. If Rob and Crazy Ass Baby Snatcher have been together all this time, what was the point of the "blacked" eye and the endless whining and general stupidity?

It would seem we're also about to have another "hilarity ensues" Patrick "a naaaace half o' run!" Trueman storyline. As long as it doesn't involve doughnuts and Pat, I say bring it on.

Miss Hacksaw said...

Ms B - you strike me as someone who might be interested in my new project. I'm sure you can come up with some suitable nominations!

http://misshacksaw.blogspot.com/2007/06/easties-awards-2007.html

Ms Baroque said...

Miss H, you're on. I'll publicise it.

I too have spent much of this evening going over the past six months in my head, trying to remember whose point of view all those scenes were shot from, who was ever in the room at the same time... these things are all planned out months in advance! It HAS to make sense!

Anyway, who cares - that was MUCH better than Chrissie and Den.

Monozygote said...

Burst out laughing? How could you?

I was on the edge of my seat, my heart was in my mouth. It was fabulous, it was better than Misery! Did you see when she was lying there pretending to be dead, did you see that mad look when she opened her eyes at him?

They've definitely excelled themselves tonight. Personally, I hate Dawn, but even I found myself wanting her to escape.

Anonymous said...

Did you notice that the Panorama straight after that particular Eastenders was about whether or not TV is bad for kids. Oh the irony.