Pinocchio will be a real boy!
Okayokayokay - the news is kind of leaking out drip by drop and, as has been pointed out to me, it now appears in my author's bio over at Nth Position - so I may as well say here, too, that my manuscript has gone down a light summer storm over at Salt Publishing, and they have accepted it, so I am now a Salt Poet-in-waiting.
This is great news, of course, for a variety of reasons, not least is that I think Salt is a fabulous press, which is doing fabulous things at the moment and shaking poetry publishing up a little bit. They have a great attitude to poetry: it can be sort of summed up, as a riposte to those who feel that a preoccupation with filthy lucre might taint their Art, thus: "You're not going to be doing much service to Poetry if people aren't buying the books."
Salt poets to take note of include (off the top of my head) Tamar Yoseloff, Isobel Dixon (forthcoming), Jane Holland, Valeria Melchioretto (forthcoming) and Tobias Hill.* Watch this space.
Salt director Chris Hamilton-Emery's** book 101 Ways to Make Poems Sell is also a great resource - the 'submission do's and don't's' that make up much of its beginning have long been legendary on the Salt website. In fact, combined with a certain aforementioned person's hectoring and my redundancy last summer, you could say this book is one-third of the reason I even have a blog.
No title as yet, though a shortlist is forming. Right now we're kind of letting my medical issues resolve themselves before we plough too deeply into it all. But he said yes! (He also says there is no way he'd have said otherwise.) (Yay!)
* I will also point out that Baroque reader Elizabeth Baines has got a book of short stories coming out with Salt - Balancing on the Edge of the World will be published on October 1st.
** also a poet - I've been reading Radio Nostalgia this week.





12 comments:
Congratulations on your forthcoming salination!
Crikey - that's good news. Well done Ms Baroque.
Woohooo, Katy! Way to go!
Great news, Katy. I too am filled with admiration for all things Salt, so will look forward to seeing the book. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Congratulations!
Hey Ms B, Congratulations on your Salt success, that is great news! And hope that pesky gall bladder is fixed soon.
I look forward to it. Congratulations.
Congrats! - and thanks for the links. Hope the health front squares for you soon.
I already knew these glad tidings, of course, being clasped tight in your bosom at all times, but I shall now attempt to look suitably surprised and admiring. And success obviously suits you; your blog is positively radiant this week. Your first too. When's it due?
I am hugely impressed with all your postings on Baroque in Hackney. Indeed, I was going to blog myself on Raw Light today about time management for writers with children, but never got a spare moment to do it.
Jx
Well done! My poem: 'Season(ing)s of Love' has been enormously popular here, but only among the lost and lovelorn. How unfortunate. Yes well you have to take compliments where you can get them.
-Robert.
Hi Andrew, Quink, Nic, Matt, NMJ, Adrian, and Fool - thank you all! Yes, Salt is like the Shoreditch of current poetry publishing I think, as against (say) Faber or Picador's South Kensington. The place where it's all happening.
Foo, the links were prctically the best bit! Glad you liked 'em.
As to the b of g, me too. I'm off work now, anyway.
Jane, in about nine months, of course. I have a method of time management for mothers, it goes like this: as soon as they're old enough let them decamp to their dad's house and play their loud music and smoke there. (It's interesting that every time I call there to say I'm feeling really pissed around and really think I ought to see my boys once in a while, he answers that he only wishes they would come here for a bit.)
You can get a lot done, in my experience, while the sausages are cooking. Write the post! It'll be great!
RH, it sounds great. And as the lost and unfortunate is almost everyone, it sounds like you're on a winner there.
hurrah for you! (i originally posted a hurrah-for-you comment when your post first went up, but either my computer loused up (probable, there was a storm, the wifi was not happy) or you blocked it, which seems unlikely (i hope))
But hurrah for you and congratulations -
Flat Out, I promise I never saw your comment. And thanks!
Post a Comment