a walk on the heath
There's no real describing how much I love Hampstead Heath. I went up there on the North London Line, which I am probably the only person who loves - I love it because it 's still a bit poky and old-fashioned. You get out and there are tea shops and good bread and a branch of Daunt Books, and then you go up this path (seen here going back down, actually)...
... and then you emerge into this!
It was one of those amazing days where the bright is so bright that it makes the dark darker than ever. I'm not a photographer and my camera's not up to much really, but I love the way the shadows look black.





For some reason this ridge is all about Keats, to me, striding across to Highgate. The whole heath is really permeated with Keats. All these places have loads of memories and associations for me, anyway: I've walked across this hill with almost everybody who's ever been important to me, as well as on my own.
And here's something I prepared earlier:
It's like looking at the entire past all spread out in front of you.





5 comments:
Blissful scenes, I need to relax ...
Mme A, so did I! (It might have worked better if I hadn't just had two black coffees, but that's life.) And that is why I've shared these pictures: you just forget, don't you... I recommend that you get yourself up there pronto.
Lovely. I like to walk there from Finsbury Park, up the Parkland Walk (disused Railway line) to Highgate, quick pint in the Prince of Wales, and then across to the Heath.
The happiest moment was when I saw a swan chasing a swimming, yapping terrier that had been annoying it. The look of surprise on the latter's face was worth worlds.
Short of a walk along a windswept beach, there's nothing more exhilarating than a romp across the Heath. In fact, I'm going up there today :-)
Tis cool that you have somewhere near to escape to. I still think I would die in a city.
Post a Comment