Monday, 26 November 2007

at least they're not idoits

I'm just shamelessly stealing this post. Kris from Stoke Newington, one of my favourite bloggers and definitely someone you want inside your tent pissing out (as the saying goes), has lately taken to recording conversations she overhears. I'm jealous, I'm envious, and I'm thinking I don't spend enough time on the buses these days...*

She writes:


On the 73, approx 11:00 am today (and no, American friends, there is no Thanksgiving holiday here).

Two school-girls on the bus. Let’s call them “Little” and “Large”: -

Little to Large: “I was with Hayley and Chelsea and I floored him. I fucking floored him and he didn’t do nuffink. Ask my grandad.

Large, shouting down her mobile: “WE’RE ON THE BUS TO KING’S SQUARE, THEN WE’RE GOING OUT WEST”.

Little: “Give me that phone”. Now down phone: “You fucking wanker, next time I see you, I’m gonna scratch your face up”.

Large, taking phone back: “YEAH, OUT WEST, BUT WE’RE GOING TO KING’S SQUARE FIRST”.

Little, looking out the window: “OMG! There’s my school police officer. Tap on the window”.


But what I really love? The labels she's given it: antisocial behaviour, idiots, London.


* Edited in. Wait. You don't have to be on a bus. Mlle B is sitting here watching America's Next Top Goddamned Model. Lots of sounds of girls weeping, sounding heartbroken - they probably broke a nail - and then inspirational, or exhortational, blather from all the weird people who run it. I'm not listening. Then, from the wall of sound, emerges the sentence, spoken by a voice neither male nor female but merely vapid: "Okay girls, and we're gonna do do four sides of your personality."

2 comments:

Political Umpire said...

Is this why the English gained the reputation for manners and public behaviour?

Admit you fancy Nigel Barker, one of the judges on ANTM. Every straight female of my acquaintance does. Tyra's too scary for me.

Ms Baroque said...

Ump, if I thought I fancied anyone off that programme I would go throw myself off the Wobbly Bridge.