Wednesday, 7 November 2007

the horror, exposed

Funny; only a few days after my heartfelt post on the joyfulness of hearing English As She is Meant to be Spoke, Puthwuth over at Georgiasam writes a piece called - simply, yet, I feel, brutally - "poetry readings." The post starts as it means to go on: "Someone once died at a Geoffrey Hill poetry reading. I presume the cause of death would have been given as ‘misadventure’."*

There's more: much more.

Anyway, I've got two readings coming up in a couple of weeks, & I'm a little out of practice, so I'd better bloody well get to it. Don't want to perpetrate anything awful.


* This seems a shame. There are many other poets I'd rather this anecdote were about, but I won't list them here...

2 comments:

Mark Granier said...

Katy, I am sure you'll do brilliantly. Just give yourself to the experience and enjoy the captive audience (thereby giving them leave to enjoy your reading).

Ms Baroque said...

Mark, I am ladling it on a bit here! I love reading actually. And I'm told I read well. I think it's from all those years of reading to the kids about two hours a day... anyway you know it's just another form of talking, which I'm pretty good at!