Sunday, 11 November 2007

saving the world

Jorge_luis_borgesvia 3 Quarks Daily:





The Just


Jorge Luis Borges


A man who cultivates his garden, as Voltaire wished.
He who is grateful for the existence of music.
He who takes pleasure in tracing an etymology.
Two workmen playing, in a cafe in the South, a silent game of chess.
The potter, contemplating a color and a form.
The typographer who sets this page well, though it may not please him.
A woman and a man, who read the last tercets of a certain canto.
He who strokes a sleeping animal.
He who justifies, or wishes to, a wrong done him.
He who is grateful for the existence of Stevenson.
He who prefers others to be right.
These people, unaware, are saving the world.

Translation: Alastair Reid

Ps: I'll also include in this list Drew, who is about to come and take away the Urban Warrior's chest of drawers. (Now all I have to do is get rid of about three bags, plus boxes, of Sega Megadrives + games, a lovely wooden box of paints and misc. art materials, bits of clothing, many old CD's saying Emsoundz on them (plus one by the Hives), a tripod, a floppy emu, a gold Statue of Liberty mask, a strange quasi-USA flag, about three cameras and some binoculars, a laminator, boysocks I can't be bothered to try and see if they're in pairs or not, many things I'm not really sure what they are, and the remainder of the babymummy's clothes. I think we're talking another cab.)

2 comments:

Pants said...

And this is the reason I have left a little gift for you over at House of Pants.

xxx

Pants

Ms Baroque said...

Ohhh, you do?? It's not an owly-cat, is it?