Friday, 9 November 2007

a star will appear in the east - or, maybe not

As many readers of Baroque know, I always think EastEnders is like a prism, refracted off which we can see our (admittedly scrambled) own selves. Higher-brow friends deride this, saying we can see ourselves in King Lear, Antigone, or even the Restoration comedies* - but I say I can see us everywhere, and Easties is also a window onto how we see ourselves.

Although: is the BBC run by humans? Discuss.

So anyway, with all this in mind, I watched a few episodes last night. I hadn't seen it in a good couple of weeks, for one reason and another. Little Mlle B and I were both curled tiredly up on the sofa in that kind of "let's watch some aimless telly" way: lovely, really. So I came to it fresh, if you can call it that. And oh dear God! Miss Hacksaw, are you there?

1. Okay, that new guy, that Jack Branning. Fair enough, he's after Ronny Mitchell, you can't blame him for that - but there's no acting going on. Can't they tell? The guy wouldn't convince even as a six-year-old reciting something to his teacher. Urgent lessons needed!

2. the Max/Stacey storyline. I can't believe I missed the wedding. And it still hasnt come to a head. Dear God in Heaven.

3. Jane and Ian. Bo-oring - and her doormat routine is really getting to me. Time to move on! Unless something's actually going to happen, in which case, please let it happen! A bomb, maybe?

4. Sean Slater. Let him have a heart. But will it be made of lead? (I did like when he took his mother's tranquilisers, but when they showed him on the couch "spark out" I half thought he was dead.)

5. Loving Roxy though, in her new red wheels, with her little dog. She's a riot.

On second thoughts, scrap all that about seeing ourselves. But anyway, at least I'm caught up now.


* Though I always find The Philadelphia Story, or North by Northwest, will do just as well.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Here I was thinking what a shame I’ve no access to BBC. . . You are a riot, dear Ms. B. and the best kind to have morning coffee with.

Miss Hacksaw said...

Fear not, here I am (drawn out of hiding by the opportunity to rant about rotten soaps)!

I can;t even bring myself to blog about it anymore (not that I've been blogging about anything of late). I cannot believe they've gone down the route, yet again, of the Rubbish Gangster (the portly chap who was last seen in the ITV adaptation of Jilly Cooper's The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous...don't ask)... at least he didn't buy the club. Do you think that the fellow off the Bill who has bought it would be put off shagging in the back office if he knew about Grant and Jane's rut in there a couple of years ago?
Also, I am annoyed about the message given out to young folk about how to get out of debt. If EastEnders reflected real life Peggy would have gone to Picture Loans and everything would have been rosy ("Ronnie! Ah've faaaand yer scootah!").
Roxy is much fun at the moment, and also looks a bit less pan-faced in recent weeks! You see, cheating people out of tons of cash benefits everyone! Baaaaah.

Ms Baroque said...

Right you are about the debt, Miss H. I watched it on Catch-Up TV and I had to put in my PIN number for that episode.

However, I do think the business with Roxy and her car etc is intended as irony - there was that great joke when they'd paid off the bailiffs, & Roxy said, "That just makes you feel like a complete makeover, and a pair of Manolos just for the hell of it!" And Peggy & Ronny give her that glare. And then they nearly lost the club - Ronny's had to make that deal - all because of Roxy's car, so that one's going to run & run.

Then again, remember the Slater girls? Never a role model for the young.

Bu the main thing you're right about - what is with this young gangster?? The storyline dept is regretting throwing away that other guy, what was his name... the one Dennis pushed off the bridge for Johnny Allen. And even he was lame enough, but he looked like bloody Gielgud compared to this pup.

Ah, happy days!