Wednesday, 7 November 2007

good morning world

Well, I've just had a dream about Hell. I didn't even know it was a dream at the time , I thought I was just having a kind of intense train of thought. But let me tell you what it's like.

First of all, it has lots of escalators, like the Jubilee Line. The stations are vast & cavernous, built to handle enormous rush-hour crowds.

Your vision sometimes disappears. You can go quite a lot on feel, as it happens, but if you sit patiently, you will be able to see again at some point, and carry on.

Hell is also full - I almost wrote "fool" - of people who don't get the upshot. They think they're on a package holiday or something. They block aisles, dawdle so you can't get past, are indecisive, check maps. We knew this already, but I can now confirm it.

It also has lots of people you sort of know, or barely know, or used to know. In this respect it's kind of like Facebook, without the little gifts. But it's hard to have a conversation because you are in Hell, and no one knows what they're doing there. A lot of them, as above, don't get the upshot. They think they can just leave. Also, numbers dwindle.

Don't go in the pool: it may have a wave machine and even whitecaps, but the water is that colour for a reason. This is confirmed later as it lies darkly still, showing murky shadows underneath where once were swimmers. A cluster of young people at the far end, like a photograph from Jonestown, goes strangely unnoticed by the other inmates.

There are also those kind of annoying blonde young women there, so familiar from Stoke Newington Church St, but deprived of their off-road buggies all they can do is put their chair on top of your bag or something, or knock into you, and then blame you when you ask them to please shift over just an inch.

In Hell they eat this really stiff green jello with shredded leftover cabbage in it. Well: they don't eat it. They are a voice with no body, and with no Tannoy system either. They give it to you, in a square plastic dish.

The comedy in Hell is provided by the yummy mummies, when they see the green jello.

And there is one other good thing: if you are brave, or grim, enough to force down one cube of the jello, the rest of it disappears. The chicken's not bad.

8 comments:

Katherine said...

You forgot to mention your bumping into Mr. Special. Or was he too busy riding up his esphongus to mind your presence? Lucky for you, otherwise you might have had green jello-cabbage stuck to your beautiful hair.

Mark Granier said...

"What's [death] like?"

"You know the chicken at Tresky's restaurant?"

"Yeah."

"It's worse."

(from Annie Hall)

Looks like Woody Allen may have had the same dream.

Ms Baroque said...

August, thanks. I think Keiran will be in a lower circle, the one they use for cold-call sales operatives and abridgers of novels.

Mark, wasn't that Love & Death? One of my favourite movies, one of my favourite okes in the movie, and the reason I loved my own chicken remark so much! (Yes; I loved it.)

Well spotted. Woody Allen USED to be GREAT, didn't he!

Mark Granier said...

Sorry, yes Love and Death; I must be only half awake (haven't had the second pint of coffee).

Ms Baroque said...

And of course I meant jokes. I too must make some coffee, though I did grab an emergency cup from the South American place by the tube.

Mark Granier said...

Re. Woody Allen, yes, he used to be superb. Some of his one (or two)-liners have already entered the annals, alongside Groucho Marx etc.:

Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

I am at two with nature.

I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.

It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still carry a tune.

Why are our days numbered and not, say, lettered?

The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep.

Death doesn't really worry me that much... I just don't want to be there when it happens.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Mopsa said...

America must be hell....the tales of their diced carrots in jello were, I thought, a mistake, but your dream seems to have confirmed my worst wobbly fears.

Ms Baroque said...

Mopsa, welcome to my world... in fairness to my grandmothers, though, I never saw cabbage in jello.